Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

123 Reg charging but not registering domains - check Nominet WHOIS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a warning as I know 100% this has happened to a few other people. I was wondering why a .co.uk I purchased through 123-Reg wasn't resolving after updating nameservers in my control panel and then did a WHOIS at Nominet and found out it wasn't registered!

The domains show as registered on 123-Reg WHOIS, I had been charged and they were in my control panel - but still freely available to register!!

I have just been checking some invoices and found another batch I registered (or thought I had) in August and they were still available too. This is the third occasion this has happened.

I urge you all to do a WHOIS lookup at www.nominet.org.uk to make sure any .uk domains purchased through 123-Reg are registered to you.

Apologies if this has been raised before.

On another note, anyone recommend a good value registrar for .co.uk that allow transfers in for free?​

This happened to me some time back as well. I stopped using them as they were so unreliable. Will need to transfer everything with them onto my own tag at some point.

As for not registering them but charging you for them, 123 do this quite a lot, they usually refund you though for it.

Another big problem with 123 is when you transfer a name in and it doesn''t show on your control panel yet is on the 123-tag,What is usually is with 123-reg is that when a domain is in someones 123-reg account and it expires they don't take it out of their control panel for about 7-8 months after. Now if you register this domain name as it drops from nominet. 123-reg doesn't put it in your control panel, it just simply renews it in the other chaps control panel. This is the reason you can't see it in your panel yet it is still with 123-reg

Obvisouly the chances of this happening is very low something like 0.5% of domains you add will be effected.

It's absolutley bonkers and I have told them about it 30 times but they don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm shifting them away from 123-reg as we speak, they still aren't reliable yet
GW

Last edited:
Yep

Agreed there is an issue with 123-Reg and names hanging around their database. A simple way to check is to try and set-up to transfer in the name to 123-Reg via their control panel. It won't let you transfer-in a name that is still lurking around their database, even though the TAG at Nom. may be totally different - or the name is not even registered.

It is particularly a problem if you buy names and ask the seller to push to 123-Reg, you'll almost certainly end having to pay Nominet for a TAG change, unless you check out the 123-Reg end of things first.

Cheers

JohnP

Been waiting 2 weeks for a reply from them in regards to the latest problem (asked if they could register the domains they charged me for 2 months ago but never registered).

I've now just asked for a refund and will be getting my own tag.

I've been charged for 7 domains that I haven't received in the last week. I've just phoned their support line to be told it's 10p per minute and wait times are in excess of 25 minutes.

Any ideas of how else to contact them, as they don't seem as quick to reply to these support queries, when compared to other help I've asked for!!

Oh and a couple of my support calls regarding the registering of domains, have mysteriously disappeared from the system and I had to re-log them!

Cheers,

CM

Last edited:
I thought 123 reg were really good for a long time. Now they absolutely diabolical.

I had 9-10 valuable names that I had renewed in May, that were suspended because 123 had not paid their bill to Nominet. I only noticed it by chance. WTF would I have done if they were dropped :mad:

thing is when companies relocate, they don't just shut up shop one day and start up in the new location the next. What usually happens is they say right in 3 months we are moving, this unfortunately nearly always leads to staff that are being made redundant losing motivation and even being purposely destructive to the companies name.

but 123 aren't reliable for this line of work anymore

well todays took an hour to register, glad when I've shipped out

I reg'd a .com and its .co.uk brother today - done in a flash. No problems.

I've reg'd a few today without a problem and have even had a refund on one paid, but unreg'd domain - Only 6 more unreg'd domains outstanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom