Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Adsense

Discussion in 'Google Adsense' started by deanmain, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanmain

deanmain Active Member

Some of the quality of google ads on my site is a bit irelevant at times

Example www.fireblankets.org.uk/kiddefireblanket

Is there any way of filtering out the ones that do not fit in with overall website or is it really pot luck.

Cheers
    Dean

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. stevebrowne United Kingdom

stevebrowne Active Member

they all looked relevant to me...

CO2 Fire Extinguishers
    Fire Extinguisher Courses
    FM200 Fire Suppression
    Fire Damper Inspections
    Foam Fire Extinguisher

3. deanmain

deanmain Active Member

cheers for the reply.....I was thinking mayby there would be more about fire blankets or is that asking too much???

4. stevebrowne United Kingdom

stevebrowne Active Member

it depends who is advertising at any given moment. But it also makes perfect sense for extinguisher suppliers to advertise against fire blankets.

5. retired_member25

retired_member25 Retired Member

You can block keywords in the adsense console

6. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

the big G now search your temp files and cookies and brings up ads on what you searched before on your comp. Thought you noticed that when they made us all to do a privacy policy on our sites.

7. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

It also depends on who is looking and whether you have the "tailor ads to my audience" box checked.

I have a couple of electronic data sites that were showing irrelevant ads for stairlifts etc because the audience is people of riper years. I unticked that box, and got better revenue. Then it fell off again, and the ads lost relevance.

Golddiggerguy suggested on Acorn that using longer and explicit channel names improved performance, so I changed those and things brightened for a month, then went back to crud.

This is static material - it doesn't increase or get better, it is historic data, and if I put more up I will be duplicating other sites. But Google favours the sites that grow - even if they grow via an RSS feed adding irrelevant content by the bucketload - and reduces the quality of ads on unpromoted sites with info that is valuable to few people.

The less you muck about with a site, the more the relevance of your Adsense decreases. If you don't add pages regularly, you end up advertising crud to the bewildered and blind - at least, that's the way I see it.

Update: on the front page of a site that is detailing codes for US thermionic valve manufacturers, and historical notes about valve manufacturers, Adsense is advertising Mattresses, Spread Betting, Employment Termination advice, Removals quotes, Financial Advice, and Annuity Rates comparisons.

The ads actually get a bit better on the other pages ( about 40% relevant), but there are better focused ads in the system that are never shown - and when they were, that's when I made a little money.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  8. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

Remember that Goog also targets ads according to what the person has recently been browsing, not just the content of the site.

9. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

Only if you let it, and, like I said, I switched that off. That site doesn't get much traffic - one or two visits a day. A lot of the information on there is unique or only otherwise available in German, so it is very interesting to a small group of people, but the ads do not pay for keeping it up.

It made 2p last month, although it could pay its way with the right ads. When I make a couple of changes, it gets well focused ads for a short while and makes a couple of quid a week for about a month. And its not as if Adsense doesn't have that advertising - I see it on other peoples' sites, so the advertisers are still there.

WTH I was going to link it into a more general network of sites, and the best affiliate program got suspended last week ...

10. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

You've also got two links out to urls with "fire extinguisher" in them - so G maybe seeing those and thinking fire extinguishers are relevant to your site and so will display ads about fire extinguishers as well as fire blankets. Just a possibility.

11. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

would title / meta tags/ description influence it at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.