Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Advice required on selling Domains through DomainLore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I know a fair percentage of people try their luck with DomainLore and I would appreciate some advice from DomainLore users on selling a keyword rich domain.

For those of you who use DomainLore do you generally:

a) Post your domain and just hope that a fellow domain name trader will buy it?

b) Post your domain AND email a list of potential End Users to direct them to the Auction listing in the hope of getting an End User sale price?

And if you also direct End Users to the DomainLore auction, have you found that to be a successful strategy?

Thanks.

I've not sold much through DomainLore, but for those I have sold I've emailed, phoned and send mail to potential buyers.

I usually start by selecting the companies with the most potential by checking Google and companies house.

I then write a letter and send it. Within a couple of days I follow up with an email from the domain in question, finally telephoning the potential buyers I see most relevant.

We're not talking big sales, but £300-£500 for a couple of hours work. I think it's worth it anyway and in most cases it's the end user that buys.

New to this, but I'm mostly "a: post and hope". I may do "b: post and promote" as a fallback if attempts to contact end users has failed to reach a price I'm happy with.

Directing people to a live DomainLore auction at the first point of contact is awkward due to the timing (especially if you're using the post) :
  • Auctions cannot be scheduled to run more than 3 days in advance (although you can sit on it after approval for a couple of weeks).
  • Auctions cannot run for more than 5 days (for "Hidden Gems", 7 for Spotlight).

And obviously if there's only 1 potential end user interested, they could easily get it for the start price. At the moment, I'm only happy listing things on Lore that I don't mind letting go for £50. Risking a greater deposit on a higher starting price isn't something I'm comfortable with; if I'm willing to lose £20 I'd probably list it elsewhere. If I was actively seeking multiple bidders in the way Alex seeks buyers, I'd just run my own auction on the domain itself.

Thanks for the replies Alex & Paul.

@Alex
Yeah, I do contact End Users with a price direct but for lower priced domains I just never seem to be able to make it worth my while relative to all the effort put in.

@Paul
I think your strategy is pretty much what I should be aiming for really.

My main concern was that if I send an End User to an auction platform like Domainlore then they may not be comfortable with that buying platform. Sometimes as domainers we assume that everyone else is as comfortable in dealing with these platforms as we are.

I guess some of what we do can be a hit and miss so there's never a 100% right or wrong way of doing things.

Thanks again for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom