Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

And that's goodnight (or good morning) from me...

A

Aaron Clifford

I've had a decent run with domains, starting back when I was 13 building and selling websites before moving into the UK name space fully about 11 years ago.

DBCatch has been a long running public catching service and hopefully has provided many of you with some good catches, it's been fun developing the system privately for myself at the start and then publicly but from the end of this week I'll no longer be taking public catches on the system, other than for people that have prepaid credits in place, once their credits are used up I'll be shutting down the website for new bookings.

I have a successful career and additional business interests outside of the domain industry where I'm finding considerably more financial success and the time put into domains and developing my script further just isn't financially beneficial or comparable anymore. Competitors of mine in the public catching space are progressing with either exploits that I know about and haven't chosen to act on, multi tagging or "better software" and to be honest I'm not hating on it, with a company like Nominet at the helm of the UK domain space it doesn't surprise me that the system is open for such abuse and failure to patch exploits.

I still plan on catching privately whilst Nominet allow it probably going after names more specific to the business area I'm now in.

Happy catching all. I'll drop a working PHP drop script on GitHub in the next week or so for anyone wanting to jump in and do some barrel scraping before Nominet pull the rug, until then I hope someone gets lucky with a few decent names over the next few days!

All the best, Aaron!

I'm glad to hear you are seeing success in other areas, and you are making the best decision for you which is obviously the correct decision.

I can certainly understand the decision you've come to and have a similar conundrum. There is little money in offering a public drop catching service any more with the influx of new tags and if you are not developing domains yourself the revenue hardly covers the cost of the service and enhancements. Hosted drop catching seems to work well but still not huge amounts of money in it.

Sorry to see you go, I only just discovered your platform. Will you still be going for my catch which I have booked in for the 12th?

Good luck with everything!

Sorry to see you go, I only just discovered your platform. Will you still be going for my catch which I have booked in for the 12th?

Good luck with everything!

Cheers, All current bookings are being honored up to the point that I've cleared out the prepaid credits, new bookings will not be accepted from this friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaron, we'll miss you from the dropcatching scene, but entirely understand your reasons. You've caught some good ones for me (and perhaps a few more as I think I'm still one of those with unused credits). Very best of luck for the future!

All the best, Aaron, and be lucky in whatever your other chosen paths are.

Thanks for the catches over the years Aaron, and all your work on the free script for the first .uk release - wouldn’t have caught any if it wasn’t for your efforts on releasing the script and help setting up.

All the best with your other ventures! :)

I second that, thanks so much for that. It helped me in ways you cannot imagine.

Just to update I will still be taking bookings for non prepaid credits up to six days in advanced until the prepaid credits are cleared.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom