Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Anger at bogus web appeal for missing Claudia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anger at bogus web appeal for missing Claudia

TH1_303200928claudia.jpg

Claudia Lawrence: Still missing

Published Date:
30 March 2009

By Paul Jeeves

FAMILY friends of missing York University chef Claudia Lawrence have condemned a "despicable" website urging the public to donate cash to a bogus appeal to help find her.

North Yorkshire Police launched an investigation yesterday to trace the person responsible for the Internet site, which is asking for donations to the so-called Claudia Lawrence Appeal.

A police spokesman confirmed that the site had not been created by the North Yorkshire force or the family of the missing 35-year-old.

A family friend of more than 25 years, Martin Dales, was tipped off about the website before it was reported to police.

Mr Dales, 53, who runs a media relations consultancy and lives in Old Malton, North Yorkshire, with his wife Hazel, said: "I have spoken to Peter (Miss Lawrence's father) and he told me that it is an unauthorised website. No one should make any donations to the site.

"It is despicable for people to try and make money out of other people's desperation."

Friends of Miss Lawrence and her family yesterday gathered at the Spotted Cow public house in Malton to make an emotional appeal for information.

Miss Lawrence, who lives alone in Heworth Road, York, grew up in Malton before moving four years ago, although she was still a regular in the Spotted Cow.

One of her best friends, Liz Holder, 28, works in a pharmacy in Malton. They met 12 years ago while they had bar jobs in another pub in the town.

Miss Holder broke down in tears as she recalled how she exchanged texts with her friend shortly before Miss Lawrence was reported missing.

She said: "I am constantly worrying. What the family must be going through, I don't know. It's been horrendous. It is a constant worry not knowing what has happened to her. It has been a nightmare.

"If anyone has got any information about her, however trivial they think it maybe, please get in touch. Claudia is such a sweet, gentle person. She would not harm anyone."

The Mayor of Malton, Jane Ford, is a friend of Miss Lawrence's mother, Joan, 65, a town councillor who lives in neighbouring Norton.

Coun Ford said: "Joan and Claudia are like best friends. The whole family is very close. She would go to York to have lunch or a coffee with Claudia at least once a week.

"She's not bearing up at all. At first I don't think she really took it in, but now reality is beginning to set in and the truth is bringing her down.

"All she can do is sit by the phone all day waiting for it to ring. She's desperate for any information about Claudia. We all are."

Coun Ford also said Mrs Lawrence, who has another daughter, mother-of-two Ali, has received more than 100 cards, letters and telephone calls from wellwishers from as far afield as South Africa and America.

The Tory MP for Ryedale, John Greenway, who is a friend of Miss Lawrence's solicitor father Peter, 62, was also at the pub for the appeal.

The former Metropolitan Police officer, who has been Ryedale MP for 22 years, said: "Someone out there knows what has happened to Claudia and knows where she is.

"Quite honestly, I've got three children in their 30s and if something like this happened to one of them it would be utterly devastating. Peter must be going through absolute hell."

Det Supt Ray Galloway, leading the search for Miss Lawrence, appeared on BBC1's Crimewatch programme last night to renew an appeal for information.

Miss Lawrence was last seen on Wednesday, March 18, after finishing work at York University's Goodricke College and has not been in contact with anyone since about 8.30pm that night.

Anyone with information can contact North Yorkshire Police on 0845 6060247.

Source

"It is despicable for people to try and make money out of other people's desperation."

I couldn't agree more - it is thoroughly despicable. :(

PS: On checking, it appears to be the .com that was used for this.

Last edited:
SCUM SCUM SCUM

Shows the vunerability of the net again.

Like when i spotted babyp.info was parked :( actually looks as though Bravenet are still profiting from this name ?
Take a look and correct me if i'm wrong ?

Thanks Doodlebug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom