Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Anger when you state a price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It seems that the downside of selling a domain is that noone expects the price to be as it is.

I experienced complete blue faced anger over the phone today when I quoted a price of £1,000 today.

IMO it was worth much more anyway (mid xxxx) and I thought I was being very kind!

Oh well. Laah deeh daah!

-aqls-

Many try it on the cheap first...

If they want it, after thay have calmed down, they will no doubt come back, cap in hand...

Just point to some of the sites showing prices achieved for sales and maybe they'll understand better.

Rgds

Accel

i had this the other day, i was accused of cyber squatting on a domain. I ask why does he think this and his reply was anyone who owns a .co.uk and doesnt use it are cyber squatters :) :)

Pointed him to sedo.

All my sales inquiries come through namedrive and this is why I posted the other day about having a minimum offer feature. Every one puts £1 or $1. Even though Ive then gone on to get some reasonable sales, others get really pissed when you reply back with £x,xxx.

Would just be alot easier if they knew before they contact me that £x or £xx or even £xxx is not going to cut it.

aquanuke said:
others get really pissed when you reply back with £x,xxx.

It's bizarre how with domain names people think they have some kind of right to buy it. Or are these the previous owners of domains that you caught on the drop?

It would never happen in the "real" world, with say, antiques.

Rgds

Accel

Ahh don't mention previous owners there the scum of the earth makes you want to stab them with a chopstick.

I think I'll set up an email filter that detects the lines "im the previous owner of ..."

Straight in the bin.

aquanuke said:
Ahh don't mention previous owners there the scum of the earth makes you want to stab them with a chopstick.

Funny that, most previous owners tend to have the same views of the dropcatchers :p

Usually when I get hot-under-the-collar responses, I move the price UP not down. Hasn't netted any more sales, but it makes me feel better :)

People need to realise that domain sales for many people is not a hobby, it's not a game - it's a business.

Edwin said:
Usually when I get hot-under-the-collar responses, I move the price UP not down. Hasn't netted any more sales, but it makes me feel better :)

I tend to do the same thing if I know the sale isn't likely to go any further.

The same guy who whinges about how much you are asking for a domain would probably quite happily pay £4000 for a private reg to put on his Jag which does nothing for his business turnover just inflates his ego.

Come to think of it the UK domain name market is very similar to the car registration market, comparisons:-

Both only have one of each name
Both have governing bodies (Nominet and DVLA)
Both charge transfer fees
PreNoms > Pre 1963 plates (3 number + 3 letters).
.org.uk > Irish registration plates (cheap private plate)
Typos > Strategic placement of black screws to change shape of letters. The favourite of Boy Racers.

The main difference is that everyone is aware that you need to pay big bucks for a good private car reg.

Mark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom