Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet AGM + NED elections 2021

Reaction score
You should have received this notification from Nominet:
Nominet said:
Dear members,

Our AGM will take place on Thursday 18th November 14:00 – 15:30 hrs (GMT) and will be a virtual event.

Voting

We are encouraging all members to take part.

Today, the voting contact on your account will be sent an email from the independent scrutineer Civica Election Services (CES) regarding voting on the company resolutions put forward at the AGM, and the Non-Executive director elections.

The email will come from [email protected].

If your voting contact has not received this email, please check your voting contact details are correct in online services. If not, please update them, and contact [email protected] to request the voting pack be reissued.

This year the voting will start on the 27th October to give members time to receive and consider all the relevant materials before voting opens.

Nominet may contact you to ensure you have the information you need to take part. No guidance on how to vote will be given, and we have published the script being used.

Company Resolutions

There are five resolutions put forward by the company. In addition to his statement to members about the future direction of Nominet, the Chair has written an explanatory note regarding the reappointments tabled at the AGM.

Our Annual Report has been published, along with our remuneration policy.

Proxy voting on the company resolutions will commence at Noon (BST) on Wednesday 27th October and close at Noon (GMT) on Monday 15th November.

The results of the voting will be published on the Nominet website following the close of the AGM. We expect this to be on the evening of Thursday 18th November.

Non-Executive Director Elections

Members will elect two candidates to serve as Non-Executive Directors until AGM 2024. Full details of the candidates are available in the candidate brochure with further supporting materials located in the Member Hub. The information will also be available on Civica’s voting platform.

A pre-recorded session with candidates will be available on the Member Hub. In addition, a live webinar will take place on the 9th November, to provide members with the opportunity to hear from candidates in person and ask questions directly. Please register to take part.

The voting in the NED elections is by secret ballot and will also commence at Noon (BST) on Wednesday 27th October and close at Noon (GMT) on Monday 15th November. The results of the NED elections will be announced on or before 17th November.

Attending the AGM

This year we will be using a new virtual platform to host the AGM. You can register to attend by completing the form.

You will then receive an email verification request directly from the platform provider from the following email address: [email protected]. Once registration is complete, members will be able to submit questions via the platform in advance of the AGM, and those joining the AGM be able to ask questions directly via audio, video or in written format.

More information is available on the Convene platform, and in our FAQs.

If you wish to appoint a proxy to attend the AGM in your place, please contact [email protected] in advance of the event.

CEO recruitment update

Senior Independent Director Dr Stephen Page has updated members on the CEO recruitment process, including the job specification used by our recruiters.

Now, here are my thoughts on this:

Ordinary resolution 5)
That Stephen Page is re-appointed as an Appointed Director for a term of one year
The board has had almost a year since the result of the EGM to prepare a transition to another appointed director.
Remember that Stephen Page has, along with the rest of the board, unanimously opposed the EGM and frankly, there is no benefit for Page to be there for another year. I don’t see why we can’t expedite the process and not vote for his re-appointment.
Every Board member that was in office before the EGM needs to be removed at the earliest opportunity.
That’s how I will be voting

NED Candidates

The same applies to David Thornton who, along with Stephen Page, should have done the honourable thing and announce they will stand down, like Bladel did.
Thornton has been on the board two terms (6 years) already and says he hasn't learned anything from the failed diversification of Nominet and that he wants to see .uk prices increased
Did I mention the arrogant and condescending tone, even in his candidate statement? He is going to tell you why!

Liz Williams seems like an experienced candidate, but when she keeps using Russell Haworth's "profit with a purpose" slogan that was used to justify the higher prices and company acquisitions, I for one am really put off. I don't think she understands the current situation Nominet is in and the the members' dissatisfaction.
Also, it seems to me that she can talk a lot without actually saying anything meaningful.

The only candidates I will be voting for are Ashley La Bolle, Jim Davies and Simon Blackler
The reason I listed them in this order is because I think Simon will get the majority of the votes so it will be important Ashley and Jim get some first option votes as well for when Simon's surplus votes get redistributed, otherwise we risk having someone like Mr Thornton again on the booard as an unintended result of a formula calculation.

I'll end on this quote from David Thornton, in case you needed any more reasons not to vote for him:
Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 15.39.04.png

Last edited:
I'll end on this quote from David Thornton, in case you needed any more reasons not to vote for him....

I thought him being a disgusting pathetic excuse of a man was enough. His posts here in the past speak for themselves. Let's hope he gets thrown off the gravy train (preferably at 200mph).

A reminder to vote – voting closes at Noon (GMT) on Monday 15th November.

And a reminder to vote the current Board members out:
• vote against resolution 5 to reappoint Stephen Page and
not give any votes to David Thornton for the NED

These two, along with the other board members gave Russell and the other directors a £300k payout just before they were sacked: https://jimdavies.co.uk/?page_id=237
See Nominet's response in this thread https://twitter.com/PerthPom/status/1458817590717997060?s=20

• Informative
Reactions: DJ
I done this yesterday, I used Simon as a proxy as before.

Cheers!

Less than a day to vote now.

As regards the AGM resolutions, from the above posts I see the recommendation to vote against Ordinary resolution 5 but what about the other resolutions? I don't know anything about the financial statements or the Chartered Accountants. I don't really know much about how Andrew Green and Eva Lindqvist have acted, whether it has been in the interests of the membership. Can anyone who has been following them more closely advise?

Also I am happy to nominate Simon Blackler as proxy but it asks for his email which I don't have. Does anyone have that to hand?

Last chance: Please vote today!
Please vote against resolution 5 and please don't assign any votes to incumbent NED David Thornton
Here is why: https://jimdavies.co.uk/?page_id=303

Last edited:
RESOLUTION 5

RESULT Weighted votes Head Count Votes % of valid vote
For .............1,200,297...............207...........................51.41%
Against ......1,134,289...............307............................48.59%

Something doesn't seem right with this?? The system needs to be reformed.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom