Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Another interesting DRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How come Nominet have broken their own rules...beasty can you comment on the following:-

The org.uk Second Level Domain is managed by Nominet UK and is a fully open domain. It is for organisations which do not 'fit' into any of the other Second Level Domains of the .uk Top Level Domain. These may include: charities, trades unions, political parties, community groups, educational councils, professional institutions, etc.

How come Nominet allowed the expert to transfer ryanair.org.uk to a profit making organsiation?

Lee

How come Nominet have broken their own rules...beasty can you comment on the following:-

The org.uk Second Level Domain is managed by Nominet UK and is a fully open domain. It is for organisations which do not 'fit' into any of the other Second Level Domains of the .uk Top Level Domain. These may include: charities, trades unions, political parties, community groups, educational councils, professional institutions, etc.

How come Nominet allowed the expert to transfer ryanair.org.uk to a profit making organsiation?

Lee

I don't think it's a rule regarding org.uk - more an aspiration. After all, Nominet make a healthy profit and their main site is nominet.org.uk! :twisted:

How it reads

Yep take your point beasty, so are any restrictions truly imposed on each ltd's apart from the .ltd.uk?

Lee

Yep take your point beasty, so are any restrictions truly imposed on each ltd's apart from the .ltd.uk?

Lee

Probably easier to say the the only 2 uk sld's NOT having restrictions truly imposed on them are .co.uk and .org.uk.

I beleive all the others have restrictions. (.me.uk, .ltd.uk, .plc.uk, .gov.uk, .mod.uk .police.uk, .ac.uk, .sch.uk etc etc etc)

rights holder

So has a rights ever won a drs on a restricted domain name i.e. the expert has ordered a transfer...would be an interesting case

If the rights holder has unequivocal rights to the name then I would expect the name to be removed and not transferred. If the rights holder doesn't have unequivocal rights then all the rights holder can hope for is the cancellation and made reavailable even though abuse had occured..

With .me.uk being pretty highly ranked then this maybe an area Nominet need to address as I see it as a loop hole for future typo squatters....saying that in such cases it would probably go to court with the rights holder claiming damages

Lee

So has a rights ever won a drs on a restricted domain name i.e. the expert has ordered a transfer...would be an interesting case
[snip]

Yes. See the nokia.me.uk DRS decision.

Rules for me.uk

So what are the rules for a me.uk....can you own a me.uk as a company as Nokia have?

Lee

They can

9.4.1 Where, as the result of the DRS or judicial proceedings (of relevant jurisdiction) a .me.uk domain name is to be transferred to a person who would not qualify under Rule 9.2 (the “transferee”), the transfer to, and continued registration by, the transferee shall be permitted provided that no use is made of that .me.uk domain name for any purpose, for so long as the transferee holds the domain name.
Lee

Last edited:
Expert Breaking Rules Set In T&C's - "again"?

I'm so glad the nokia.me.uk DRS was raised, as it alowed me to find this:

"‘Abusive Registration’ is a defined term under the Policy. However if I were to construe paragraph 3(a)(iii) as being restricted in its application to other registrations which have been formally adjudged to be Abusive (with a capital ‘A’) in previous Nominet DRS Decisions, in my view that would deprive the paragraph of any practical effect save in the most extreme of cases. As a matter of common sense I decline to do so."
...the contract defines the term (which is good) - the 'expert' declines to accept the definition as set in the T&C's!

Anyone see the problem here? - I know I do! ;)

The time has come! :mrgreen:

Regards,

Sneezy.

another weird registration

Here is the case of .gov.uk I thought Nominet allows the .gov to be registered by organisations under UK government only but look at this.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/764_dvla-gov.pdf

Any company can also register too. Even worse, the website provide ie fake driving license or Fake passport too. Interesting? :p

embarrassing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom