Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Approaching end users..

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by rharper83, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rharper83 United Kingdom

rharper83 Active Member

Hi guys (and girls!)

One thing that has always puzzled me is how I should go about approaching end users when it comes to selling a domain. I don't want to go in, and put them off with too high a price, or a lack of information as to why they should buy it...

How do you guys do it?

Thanks,

Rich

2. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

I actually asked this a while ago, as have quite a few people. Its interesting how the opinions vary as time progresses and in general.

From what has been said to me, it seems that for higher value domains, letters and a name are what you need. Phone to get a name, then write a letter to that person. Also for niche domains with a very small end user audience.

For less value domains (around £500 to end user) I have been happy to send emails and have had a lot of success. I will give you a recent example:

I recently emailed all the web design firms in the area as I had the largest search volume exact .co.uk domain for their business. of the 10 I contacted, 7 replied stating interest, 1 replied stating that it wasn't for them as they were closing, 2 didn't reply. After stating the price, 4 of the 7 dropped out. The 3 remaining made good counter offers and I accepted the highest of these. Interestingly enough, when I contacted the others to inform them, they already knew! They had talked about it down the pub and the owners of the firms all knew each other.

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

If it's a high end name, then write a letter to the Head of Marketing / Marketing Manager explaining the virtues of the name, but don't put a price in to begin with ... ask them to make you an offer and take it from there.

For low value names then speculative e-mails are fine, again I would invite offers initially rather than state a price.

Search the forum and you'll find some more advice.

Rgds

4. m4c Germany

m4c Active Member

Is there any truth in the thought that by offering a name for sale you open yourself up for a DRS - on the basis that the name is thereby '... registered in bad faith.'?

5. accelerator United Kingdom

Yes, if it's a Trademarked term where you cannot argue that the term is generic.

Rgds

6. rob

rob Founding Member

from DRS policy:

d. Trading in domain names for profit, and holding a large portfolio of domain names, are of themselves lawful activities. The Expert will review each case on its merits.

e. Sale of traffic (i.e. connecting domain names to parking pages and earning click-per-view revenue) is not of itself objectionable under the Policy. However, the Expert will take into account:

i. the nature of the Domain Name;
    ii. the nature of the advertising links on any parking page associated with the Domain Name; and
    iii. that the use of the Domain Name is ultimately the Respondent’s responsibility.

7. rharper83 United Kingdom

rharper83 Active Member

Thanks for the comments and input guys - much appreciated.

@Ashton, I did do a search, albeit a pretty poor one it would appear haha! I have yet to try the letter approach, although I guess it does make sense to do so, so I will try that one!

@Accelerator, Interesting approach regarding not putting a figure in the initial contact... Do you not find that people will put a lower value on it that you do?

8. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

I would assume for the ultra premium names, often approaches are made to the domain owner. However, there are plenty of names where drumming up interest must be a great help. Whether to go for a fixed price or bidding angle probably depends on how certain you are that there will be interest.

That's really interesting Ashton. Do you go into quite some detail concerning how the domain may be of use to their business, or try to keep it quite short?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  9. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

The domains I have used this tactic with are web design domains, so they already understand the value in general. I put a small paragraph in about it being the key term their potential customers are trying to find them with, also 'as a talented web design studio and SEO consultancy I am sure you are aware of the value of an exact match domain' etc. - Typically quite short though.

10. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

I've only ever tried emailing approach for middle of the range domains. I've set out loads of useful info and reasons why a purchase might be worthwhile.

However, success rate has actually been pretty low - maybe about 10 to 20% sales. If anybody ever cracks how to do this for solid (but not top of the range) names then I would be willing to pay very generous commissions on sales made.

Stephen.

11. accelerator United Kingdom

Yes, but then you know they're interested and you can give them your figure.

The theory is not to lose them straightaway by quoting a high figure right from the off. It's better to have a bit of build up first. If you get multiple offers back that can also help with gauging your pricing level. Ultimately the market/end user dictates the value of domains.

Rgds

12. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

99% of the time, they have to come to you
    that doesn't mean you leave it to blind luck or 'the day' when you get that offer
    put it under their nose, without putting it under their nose ;)

13. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

I have been contacted by a company last week, told them my asking price and gave them my full details.

Were 6 days down the line and no response.. Anyone got any tips on how to proceed now?

14. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that some people see owning the top niche domain as a purely defensive move... Here was one such reply I had recently:

The only real question for us to make is the strategic value of deploying our resources in such a defensive move when it may be better employed on alternative marketing schemes.

I've asked the marketing department to ascertain if there is a latent value to ownership, which I cannot see. The IT department are completely dismissive of the ownership value. However, keep in touch and if I could be so bold as to request that you drop me a quick email before you make a final decision to sell.

15. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Just sounds to me like they thought the price was too high & are passive-aggressively trying to negotiate.

16. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

this can be a huge problem and why many good deals go tits

the marketing teams who get it usually go ask the i.t nerds their opinion.
    to them 4fds2.net would do the job and they hate domainers, and designers etc. anyone with a bit of flair , lol

its why they regged 1tu4.net back in '92 and kills them to this day they didn't see it

keep the IT crew away from these sort of decisions companies, please!
    they don't understand branding, seo or marketing in the main. crawling around with their arse hanging out the back of their jeans plugging in cables, yes
    lols

17. nicedomains United States

nicedomains Active Member

Yes, I imagine that many marketing teams and business owners get opinions of the 'nerds' who tell them they are crazy for wanting to buy a domain for a pretty penny... Damn nerds :cool:

What's up Pred?!

18. Frog

Frog Active Member

That sucks for you then - as they all sipped their Guinness and decided between them how much it was really worth, who wanted to pay the most for it, how much to pay the sucker currently owning it, and how to fairly divide up the rest of the cash between themselves ;)

19. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

If that's the case then I am happier! The best trades are where both sides think they got a great deal. I know I did :)

20. Sound United Kingdom

Sound Well-Known Member

Ashton

You need to take the affiliate link out of your signature...................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.