Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Are Nominet about to remove the restrictions for registering .net.uk domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just logged into my Nominet account and saw that along with .co.uk, .org.uk and me.uk, .net.uk has been added to the list when you go to create a domain. Almost 100% sure that wasn't there before?

As you currently need to be an ISP to register a .net.uk domain, I see little point in it being there unless they are planning to remove that restriction.

Registration requests are currently still being referred. I'm thinking that might change on Monday.

- Rob

Last edited:
There would need to be a sunrise phase and everything mate, I genuinely can't see it being anything more than a mistake of some tech person. I've given up predicting what they will do though, so could be anything really.

Plus Nominet love a good auction, they wouldn't miss out on that :D

I think nominet are going to rinse every penny they can, and since .me/org are pretty much open it stands to reason they open .net.

There would need to be a sunrise phase and everything mate, I genuinely can't see it being anything more than a mistake of some tech person. I've given up predicting what they will do though, so could be anything really.

Plus Nominet love a good auction, they wouldn't miss out on that :D

Might still be an auction. If I remember correctly with the two letter domains you had to "create" the domain via your account to get a ticket to participate in the auction?

- Rob

Just logged into my Nominet account and saw that along with .co.uk, .org.uk and me.uk, .net.uk has been added to the list when you go to create a domain. Almost 100% sure that wasn't there before?

.net.uk has always been an option there as far as I can remember!

I've not seen anything that suggests Nominet are going to change the rules with regards to .net.uk domains either.

Mark

.net.uk has always been an option there as far as I can remember!

Mark

Well, if you are correct that would kill my theory rather effectively :p.

I can't remember seeing it and it does seem odd that they would have .net.uk listed but not ltd.uk, which is at least used occasionally.

- Rob

Well, if you are correct that would kill my theory rather effectively :p.

I can't remember seeing it and it does seem odd that they would have .net.uk listed but not ltd.uk, which is at least used occasionally.

- Rob

Are we talking web domain manager

I see all types listed plc.uk ltd.uk etc

Are we talking web domain manager

I see all types listed plc.uk ltd.uk etc

No. If I go to an account then click create a domain for this contact, I see four options, and fairly sure it was just three before (.co.uk, .org.uk and me.uk). I guess that contact not being a ltd company would explain ltd.uk not being an option, but then neither is the contact an ISP – which is what puzzles me and prompted me to start this thread.

Perhaps I'm going nuts but fairly sure .net.uk wasn't an option before.

- Rob

No. If I go to an account then click create a domain for this contact, I see four options, and fairly sure it was just three before (.co.uk, .org.uk and me.uk). I guess that contact not being a ltd company would explain ltd.uk not being an option, but then neither is the contact an ISP – which is what puzzles me and prompted me to start this thread.

Perhaps I'm going nuts but fairly sure .net.uk wasn't an option before.

- Rob

What type is the contact set to? I'm guessing that if set to an individual .net.uk won't show, but other types will show it perhaps.

What type is the contact set to? I'm guessing that if set to an individual .net.uk won't show, but other types will show it perhaps.

The one I checked was UK Sole Trader, but just checked another account on my tag (UK Individual) and .net.uk is also listed as an option.

- Rob

Just for the crack I tried creating my.net.uk but it's been referred for manual intervention. So whilst it's an option I doubt it will work, although my.net.uk would be nice. :p

Just tried - I can see net.uk in the drop down too.

And how many .net.uk are registered ? < 300 ?

Hmm a Google search with "site:.net.uk" shows 65,300 results. .net.uk is supposed to be reserved for ISP's but it seems there are real estate, jobs and other websites. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts