Domain Manage

Automatic backup software

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by mat, May 15, 2016.

1. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I have a WD passport running the software that it came with, but I am finding that it does not work as I really wanted.

I only really backup daily to the passport in case my computer has a problem so bad that I need to format everything and reinstall Windows.

Yesterday that happened and when trying to get my data restored I found it was a far harder job than expected. I found that I could not simply just restore the files back, but had to manually go onto a certain part of the hard drive and drag and drop my files back which were mixed in with older saved files etc.

I simply want software that allows me to backup and restore from my Windows user folder even after I have had to format or say I want to restore to another computer. I am not backing up loads of stuff, just important spreadsheets and documents etc.

When I bought the hard drive I guess I was expecting that it would just automatically do the job of what I was previously doing manually each week onto a usb stick. I just want the files, non encrypted mirrored onto the external hard drive.

I am happy with software which does far more, as I may also want to take a Full Disk Image Backup once a week or something as well if this will make it easier for me to restore my computer when it fails.

I was looking at Acronis True Image but saw quite a few bad reviews for the latest 2016 product.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

4. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I use an old version of Acronis, if you search the forum around black friday there were some indepth conversation :)

Second for Synology, I have a few of them.

5. seemly

seemly Active Member

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

7. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised you don't touch ZipCloud. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. seemly

seemly Active Member

Ha! Hence why I didn't endorse it (or it's sister products, come to that). :)

9. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Will check these out.

10. lazarus United Kingdom

lazarus Active Member

+1 for Synology. I am running 3 of these at the moment on different sites. Superb !