Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

be careful buying domains from sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've come across another domain under a PTC site (see pic below)

The following domain is listed under sedo Along with following stats

Seller's price expectation: 4,580 EUR

The seller has listed the domain in EUR. The sum of 4,580 EUR is currently equivalent to approximately 3,194 GBP.
Please choose your preferred currency.

these are the stats

DOMAIN STATISTICS:
Unique Visitors per month*: 1,150
Visitors to this Sedo Listing*: 47
Previous Offers for this Domain: 6

* Data from the previous 32 days

The domain is generating false traffic, please bear this in mind if you decide to purchase this domain.

Attachments

• fakedomain.JPG
    fakedomain.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 196
thanks shaun,

any news on measures to block known advertising servers from accesing your sedo site?

:???: So this person is generating traffic to a parked page through advertising, and this is making them revenue??

Ok, erm so what is the problem :???: Thats the same as generating traffic to a web site through advertising with the hope of making revenue from the user through click through advertising!?

This is the future :) or am I missing something, I have been working flat out for 24hrs!?

:???: So this person is generating traffic to a parked page through advertising, and this is making them revenue??

Ok, erm so what is the problem :???: Thats the same as generating traffic to a web site through advertising with the hope of making revenue from the user through click through advertising!?

This is the future :) or am I missing something, I have been working flat out for 24hrs!?

Read the TOS

Ok, so there TOS says you can not do that...that will change ;) Depends if they remain only a domain sales company or a domain stock trader.

It probably wont change because those terms are set by google who provide the ads, its the same for every parking company that uses google ads.

Grant

It probably wont change because those terms are set by google who provide the ads, its the same for every parking company that uses google ads.

Grant

I havnt gone back and read Google Adsence TOS but doesnt' google only not allow 'falsely generated' traffic??

If you generate traffic to a web site or parked page through advertising, thats not falsely generated traffic, thats genuine traffic! Traffic that you can not make click through further without their interest in that product/service...

So google shouldnt really effect how traffic is generated in relation to parked pages...

Whats Google adsence terms got to do with Google's terms for parking

Google only allows 'natural' and 'type-in' traffic. You can't advertise a PPC site - it's against all PPC TOS.

I've always thought it a bit odd though that G. is quite happy with drop/caught names that have lots of existing backlinks already in place, but don't like the idea of the new owner getting links to the (now parked) page.

Is there any real difference?

If it was such an issue, then surely G. would ignore any clicks that had a referrer, and therefore only allow type-ins (and the small number that use referrrer blockers).

I think that they just don't want to clog their indexes up with sites which are simply parked, even though everyone would make a bit more money that way...

Hi nnh,

It's highly unlikely that anybody will actually click on the ads on the parked domain (sedo can confirm this) the worrying thing is how the unique visitors per month stat is being manipulated by pay per click advertising. I don't think i would want to pay 3 grandies for a domain and then find out it isn't the high flying traffic domain I thought it was. It's a bit like buying a merc and finding out theirs a skoda engine in it (sorry skoda owners)

Hi nnh,

It's highly unlikely that anybody will actually click on the ads on the parked domain (sedo can confirm this) the worrying thing is how the unique visitors per month stat is being manipulated by pay per click advertising. I don't think i would want to pay 3 grandies for a domain and then find out it isn't the high flying traffic domain I thought it was. It's a bit like buying a merc and finding out theirs a skoda engine in it (sorry skoda owners)

I can understand where you are coming from but you are only seeing sedo as a domain sales company (perhaps thats all it still is and will ever be!). Its quite complicated to explain a future market of how domains will be traded similar to stocks and shares but sedo is likely to be a part of that hopefully. A web sites value will be decided on its development potential as a trading web site, its actual trading (offline, online) income. A name (the stock) parked in a portfolio will not be valued on its future potential but its current advertising revenue generated by click throughs to developed web sites. Similar to how things are now but you are looking at a time when ALL .com N, L names are registered. So how that traffic is generated would be important if it could not be sustained but thats for a buyer to asertain. If the traffic can be sustained by new links then that would formulate the value of that stock...

This particular domain is generating traffic to its stock which is giving it revenue and its current market value would be decided upon that. You shouldnt only look at it as something that has traffic to be only developed into a conventional web site...

Users do click on parked page links, click throughs can be quite high in some cases. You may not click on them yourself as you know what they are but if you have ever watched someone who is not so 'savvy' you will see that these pages are very well used and liked. Future parked pages will be far better designed and even as a web developer it we be hard to tell them, they will be part of the everyday web and play as big a role as developed sites in managing traffic...

I think we both just see this kind of parked page from a different perspective...If sedo does not allow this kind of revenue generation just yet then it is something they need to look at...

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if I've been conspicuous by my absence recently, an astronomical amount of work in the transfer department has taken up almost all my time in the last couple of weeks.

"I've always thought it a bit odd though that G. is quite happy with drop/caught names that have lots of existing backlinks already in place, but don't like the idea of the new owner getting links to the (now parked) page.
Is there any real difference?"

Yes, there is a difference – the links to expired pages obviously represent ‘real’ traffic that actually ‘happened’, the traffic is provable and the links can’t be removed from the domain owner, as they are on external sites. Advertising that is forwarded to Google parking sites leads to very poor conversion rates at the advertising companies, who would therefore stop forwarding advertising onto parking sites in the medium/long term.

If the domain is for sale on Sedo:

If a parked domain is advertised, that obviously leads to lots of visits, increasing the chances of a sale for the owner. If the domain is then old, the previous owner will of course stop forwarding advertising to the site, meaning that the traffic sinks and the buyer feels he has been hoodwinked (the Merc/Skoda analogy works quite well, although I also extend my apologies to Skoda owners). This would eventually lead to fewer people wanting to invest in domains, as they would feel they couldn’t ‘trust’ the traffic.

Regards,

Shaun

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts