Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Be responsive, or get a mobile site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, I was at G workshop a couple of weeks back and they mentioned that you should not call the link 'Full site' as it gives the impression they are viewing a sub quality version. I think they said you should call it 'Desktop version' or something along those lines.

Most people who put full site links do so because they are showing a different version of the page to mobile.

Best to design mobile first. Everytime.

Imo anybody responsible for doing a website for a customer should do it as responsive as standard.

You wouldnt code in tables but charge more for css layout and responsive is no different imo.

I also agree with this 100%, which is why the original statement bothered me.

One of my clients was quoted £6-7k for making their site responsive. The same site built by the web development company! An absolute joke. I Got it done for around the £600 mark for them.

Yep that's a joke, but there are chancers and rip off merchants in every profession.

I charge about a quartet of what a big design agency would charge for a website, in fact I probably undercharge. I have worked for a few agencies and my services were charged at £600 a day to the client, so I can see where those prices come from but it's not the norm.

Also the Eurostar mobile site is very frustrating as when you go in via the search engine it redirects you to the home page! Hate mobile sites that do that.

Eurostar in general is pretty crap when you try to get somewhere http://news.sky.com/story/1377704/powerless-eurostar-leaves-passengers-stuck

:rolleyes:

Responsive/Mobile is a difficult one, you can never do it right... There will always be elements which won't render ok on phones or tablets.

I have to say.. I switched to a responsive theme on one of my Wordpress sites a couple of weeks ago and I noticed an increase in rankings so it for sure is something G takes into account.

Last edited:
Responsive/Mobile is a difficult one, you can never do it right... There will always be elements which won't render ok on phones or tablets.

Like what? :) All elements can be targetted with media queries at any resolution and resized/altered to suit. Bootstrap is a great platform to start with, but can be extended if needed.

verb (used with object), overcharged, overcharging.
to charge (a purchaser) too high a price:

Being charged too high in relation to you making more sales (thus more money) from users accessing your website(s) from mobile devices?

It would be deemed "too high" if it was disproportionate to the ROI, in which case that would be a business decision to make.

Like what? :) All elements can be targetted with media queries at any resolution and resized/altered to suit. Bootstrap is a great platform to start with, but can be extended if needed.

There are always edge cases, especially when new devices are released, like the iPhone 6+ for instance, where it would be an "unnatural" screen resolution that some frameworks/layouts would just break at either landscape or portrait resolutions.

Even mobile devices like Microsoft surface can work a bit janky with certain effects. Even iOS 7 has obscurities/oddities for certain CSS3 properties.

Iframes, yes people still use them.

Strange how you have to turn your wifi off on your phone to see it! Most people probably still connect via wifi even if they're on their phone?

Imo anybody responsible for doing a website for a customer should do it as responsive as standard.

If you're not charging more for a responsive website, you've totally mismanaged your pricing structure. It inevitably takes longer to build and test a website for multiple screen sizes - and costs you more as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom