Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Best .com etc registrar

Discussion in '.COM Domains' started by Admin, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

Any recommendations please for a better registrar than Godaddy for .coms and other non .uk tlds?

By better I mean, ticket support, good pricing, good admin panel. Namecheap?

Ta.

2. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Try NameCheap. Try Netistrar. Try NameSilo. Try UniRegistry. Let us know which you like. :)

Two of them have iOS apps. Not sure about Android.

3. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Namecheap for me, Like the system, easy to use and rarely have a problem. Fast and cheap transfers from other registrars etc. I moved 200 domains from Godaddy to Namecheap because it was cheaper to transfer than it was to renew them at Godaddy.

4. DLOE United Kingdom

DLOE Active Member

I have been with Name.com for a few years.

Good system and customer service.

Bit more expensive then Godaddy but they always have promo codes for free Whois and stuff.

5. Admin

Uncanny...such a similar situation. I have narrowed in on Namecheap, the system is a breath of fresh air compared to Godaddy. Their support was responsive, I gave them a list of 188 domains at Godaddy and they have quoted around 1900 dollars to transfer, different rates for different tlds. If you tell me you didn't get a much better deal I might go ahead!

6. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

I couldnt say to be honest, I done batches of transfers about a month before each batch of domains were expiring rather than transferring the entire lot at once. I would imagine that bulk transfers like your doing will get a better deal, I hold around 500 domains with Namecheap currently and you get better prices based on the amount of domains you have ( although sometimes its not automated and support have to apply the better pricing )

7. invincible

Thing to note about NameCheap.com is they are both an ENOM reseller (originally), so ENOM is the actual registrar, and also an ICANN accredited registrar in their own right. I believe they still use their ENOM reseller account for .com domain names and this accounts for a quarter of ENOM's overall domain names under management. By NameCheap using ENOM for .com, one has to ultimately wait for ENOM to process some things which may not be as timely at proper registrars that aren't reselling. I read something about this elsewhere (another forum) within the last week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

In the years I've been with Namecheap I've actually had the complete opposite, I don't think I've ever had to wait for Nameserver changes, Nameserver registrations, redirects or anything else and its been instantaneous (which is why I use them because I cant afford to be waiting hours for changes like that ). With actual registrars I've had to wait hours ( sometimes days for those changes ) and Godaddy at times are particularly bad with DNS and nameserver changes not being initiated .

The only thing I had a bit of trouble with at Namecheap are the uk domains last year with registered nameservers for a particular domain but nominet sorted that and couldnt understand why Namecheap couldnt do it.... but given most here have their own tag I wouldnt imagine too many would use namecheap for uk domains anyway.

But like most things in this business........one persons experience cant be a representation of the next guys, especially when DNS, hosting and domains are concerned.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. invincible

I read your post but didn't want to quote it all.

One needs to ensure distinction is made between NameCheap as a IAR and NameCheap as an ENOM reseller. If a domain name is under the latter, one is ultimately beholden to ENOM and its policies because the IAR is ENOM and not NameCheap. Whatever NameCheap do or try to do or don't do in the latter case still has to pass through ENOM. I'm an ENOM reseller just as NameCheap are, but of course I don't account for millions of DUMs unlike they do!

Any experiences with NameSilo?

10. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

No they are one place I don't even have an account with, are they any good ?

11. invincible

Not personally yet. Will try them. They don't appear to do *.uk. Advertise on another major domain name forum and many there speak highly of them. They just do domain names, not web hosting, and offer free privacy I believe.

12. Admin

Well... the concierge dept at Namecheap have been excellent. However, now I have nearly all my domains over there I've already discovered 2 massive account basics to be not in existence. There is no total domain count. Yes, they don't show me the total number of domains I have.

Secondly, you cannot export a domain list :O

13. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

It's easy to "show all" domains in the domain list, copy the entire list in to excel and then remove the other columns. But I agree it should be an option by default.

14. Admin

Fair play to them...I sent a message to their feedback dept and to concierge and both have replied already. They have said they agree with me and appreciate the feedback and both features will be added. They also dropped my special pricing again without me asking..

register .COM domains at $9.33 + $0.18 ICANN fee
    renew .COM domains at $9.33 + $0.18 ICANN fee

Not time limited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mtalk India

mtalk Active Member

you can also try Enom , Namecheap

• Funny Funny x 1