Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Best E-commerce Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there guys

Looking to start a little online store and have been looking at the possible options for ecommerce/shopping cart software. To be honest there seems to be a huge amount of choice out there and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I have my own server, MySQL, PHP, Ruby on Rails, etc all fine.

Need something that looks relatively attractive out of the box, keeps it relatively simple but can be scaled up to several hundred products if needed and will integrate well with PayPal and a merchant account if needed such as WorldPay.

Don't mind paying a small amount for the software - something like the cost of vBulletin but want to avoid costs running in to the thousand+ bracket.

Any ideas?
Very greatly appreciated!
Francis

What type of product are you thinking of selling?

• T shirts
  • Didgital downloads
  • Gifts
  • Services

opensource:
magento (but big learning curve & for big shops really)
opencart

paid:
shopp (wp plugin)
clickcartpro

all php based

I've only run much smaller scale shops, nowhere near a hundred items. I used OScommerce a few years back, and most recently used PrestaShop. Bare in mind my criteria were free and able to integrate with Google Checkout, but they both should fit your needs

What do people think of ubercart have heard it is really good works with drupal

I briefly looked into a few of the common ones for a client and set up a few dummy sites on them so he could play with them (and the admin side) and we decided to go with Prestashop. Not that well known yet but growing all the time. The site laserpics.co.uk has been up and running for 6 months or so now and I have to say I'm impressed with it and the client finds it easy to use (an important factor in the decision). There are lots of modules to plug in and the list is growing all the time (lot of free ones) which are a real doddle to add and if you need to edit the core code it's nicely structured (php and some smarty templates) although if you do, you need to remember when you update it to later versions.

I'd say it's worth a look and I'll be using it again in other shops.

Last edited:
I've tested in the past all the major freebies, oscommerce, prestashop, cubecart, magento etc.. Never really found the perfect solution, all have pros and cons.

Recently was made aware of a free plugin for wordpress. WP ecommerce http://getshopped.org/

Never tried it yet but looks promising.

I was using jshop for several years, may be worth a look:

jshop.co.uk

Gary

If you google Magento it comes across as amazing and the future of all ecommerce, dig deeper and you will find it is an overblown nightmare of an ecommerce system hated by thousands. Please steer well clear unless you enjoy pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom