Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

beware of fake credit card pop-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello All,

Recently, I was exposed to a devious credit card scam.

When I went to pay for an online order, a window would pop up. This pop-up window had the VISA logo and asked for detailed credit card information i.e.g number, expiry date, PIN number etc. I was suspicious since this appeared on a site that I normally deal with and had never seen such a thing before. Later, I noticed that this same pop-up window would appear every time I went to pay for an online order.

This virus/trojan/malware was not detected by Norton Antivirus or any other programs like Pest Patrol, or Search & Destroy or others. I was never able to figure out how to get rid of it and had to reinstall windows.

I would like to warn others that may be unaware of this scam to keep their eyes open.

Kind regards,
byallnames

This popup window is actually the "Verified by Visa" website that many merchants sign up to and is legit, it might look like a scam and many people mistakingly think it is. Google "Verified by Visa" and popup, and everything will become clear. Visa really needs to redesign it so that it looks more professional. Sorry you wasted your time reinstalling windows.

I have said this system is bonkers and will be used by scam artists shortly if not already.

This verified by visa tool has to give you some information to show it is a genuine tool,

For example it needs to give you a code word so you know it is them and not a dodgy popup.

If it doesn't have this then I won't use it and shop elsewhere

Hi,

This pop-up was definitely NOT legit. There's no reason why visa would be asking me for my cash PIN code (not to be confused with the 3 digit verification code), for example.

Because this 'new' pop-up was appearing on site that where I regularly shop was the warning for me that something was wrong. Once I reinstalled windows, I stopped seeing this pop-up.

As apd's comment points out, people can easily confuse this scam pop-up with the "verified by visa" window. I'm sure they've fooled more than one with their scheme, and I hope to prevent others from being fooled!

Kind regards,
byallnames

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom