Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Breaking: Squarespace buys Google Domains for $180 million

Helmuts

AcornDomains.co.uk
★★★★★
Reaction score
holly... :eek:

Website building platform Squarespace (NYSE: SQSP) announced that it’s buying Google Domains, Google’s domain name registrar. The purchase price is $180 million, and JPMorgan Chase Bank is providing financing for part of the purchase.

more: https://domainnamewire.com/2023/06/15/squarespace-buys-google-domains-for-180-million/

giphy.webp

Seems unusual for Google to be selling a division doesn't it ? Usually they just black hole an industry and buy everything up don't they ?

Seems unusual for Google to be selling a division doesn't it ? Usually they just black hole an industry and buy everything up don't they ?

exactly.. very strange move.. doesn't look good for the PR of Google.

--

:D :D I wish I could buy Google Domains :D :D .. out of my league for 500 years :D :D ... @Ryan Ewen, @Whois-Search, @BG, you guys? ;)

I suspect they have the seen the future now with their AI - and there is no place in it for domains. As you said they don't do anything without a (good) reason. We should enjoy the remaining few years ;)

I suspect they have the seen the future now with their AI - and there is no place in it for domains. As you said they don't do anything without a (good) reason. We should enjoy the remaining few years ;)

How do you navigate the new AI world without some form of addressing system ? Genuine question.

Neuralink :)
Or.. you don't. There is only one 'site' that has everything you want.
I don't think people truly understand how global society is going to radically change in the next decade.
This goes some way to explaining various scenarios.
Google clearly have no need for a domain industry in any of them.

But these would be domains under management rather than domains owned I presume?

But these would be domains under management rather than domains owned I presume?

Yes, Google Domains is a Registrar. Squarespace will look to recoup its outlay through renewals and upselling its other services.

Neuralink :)
Or.. you don't. There is only one 'site' that has everything you want.
I don't think people truly understand how global society is going to radically change in the next decade.
This goes some way to explaining various scenarios.
Google clearly have no need for a domain industry in any of them.

Everyone should watch this. Really interesting.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom