Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Guys/ Gals

I am looking to change ISP who do you recommend?

OB

OB, I have to say Pipex. They've served me well over many years and without any significant downtime at all. Started with their dialup and then 64K ISDN way back and been with them ever since. Your mileage may well vary!

Cheers Azooza

I'll give them a look see

Anybody else? What are virgin and orange like?

I find Eclipse very good.

On the rare occassion i've needed to speak to support, their customer service was top notch.

As if in a of vote of recommendation, I used to employ the founders of Nildram & Eclipse back in the 80's. Mention my name. You're assured to get charged accordingly.

I find Eclipse very good.

On the rare occassion i've needed to speak to support, their customer service was top notch.

Agreed - would also agree at having a look at adslguide :)

I recommend Griffin:

Griffin Internet | Products & Services > Home Worker > Internet Access > Broadband

For this reason:

24 x 7 unlimited Internet access
Up to 500/1000/2000/8000Kbit/s download speeds
Up to 400Kbit/s upload speed
Minimum throughput 20% of rated bandwidth (up to 2000Kbit/s)
Reverse DNS entries
1/4/8 static IP addresses
No port blocking or traffic shaping
No proxy servers
Dedicated account management
Dedicated technical support

Also i'm only 7 hops from even acorndomains:

C:\>tracert acorndomains.co.uk

Tracing route to acorndomains.co.uk [85.92.71.241]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 18 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 44 ms 31 ms 30 ms l2gw-2.managedbroadband.co.uk [82.151.255.117]
3 49 ms 31 ms 30 ms core1.tchx.lon.uk.griffin.com [217.79.96.1]
4 45 ms 31 ms 33 ms linx-gw0.enta.net [195.66.224.151]
5 32 ms 32 ms 162 ms te1-1.global-switch.bdr.enta.net [87.127.236.53]
6 49 ms 30 ms 31 ms te5-1.global-switch.core.enta.net [87.127.236.49]
7 46 ms 32 ms 33 ms gi1-0-3.rt02.gsl1.as34282.net [84.45.248.251]
8 47 ms 33 ms 32 ms 85.92.71.241

Trace complete.

C:\>

Also they may do you a higher package for the same amount e.g. CopperStream Homeworker 1000 for the price of 500 if you say I referred you ;)

Cheers guys

This is what i have found for 8 mbps

Griffin max 34-99
Nildram varies 25-99 + fair use policy or 32-99 + set up charges
Eclipse varies between 19-99 to 29-99 all have fair use policies
Pipex 24-99 unlimited (free router)
Orange 19-99 unlimited (30gb cap) (free router)
Virgin 19-99 unlimited (40gb cap) (free router)
BT 22-99/26-99 40gb cap (free router)
AOL 24-99 unlimited with 1 month free (free router)

Ok guys so there are only two options, AOL and Pipex

Any comments on these two?

I set-up AOL for someone and they had nothing but problems. Loads of attacks on their PC (until I put on Zone Alarm) and their tech support was next to useless.

I'd go for an ISP you can move away from easily if you need to, so ask who ever you choose if they have a migration code, this is supposed to make things much easier but I found with Tiscali they dont have one (or wont tell you). I asked to change my Tiscali account from home to business account with them, they told me I'd be without any service for 20 days! Madness.

Last edited:
Ok guys so there are only two options, AOL and Pipex

Any comments on these two?

Carphone Warehouse is buying AOL UK :

BBC NEWS | Business | Carphone Warehouse buying AOL UK

Therefore will it turn in to their TalkTalk service:

Free Broadband with our Talk3 Call Plan - TalkTalk Broadband

i.e. Free is just a marketing ploy (40GB monthly usage allowance)

As for Pipex you only have to look at how they run 123-reg and webfusion lol

See: pipex rubbish - Digital Spy Forums

It's worth paying extra for a reliable broadband service.

Ive used telewest for about 4 years. Have the 10mb service, IP rarely changes unless I force it at the router otherwise Ive had the same IP for over 12 months.. which suits me as I run some services from home like my CCTV.

Also they dont monitor bandwidth usage, I probs clock up 100GB + per month.

Had alittle spell couple months back when it was running slow during happy hour (7pm-10pm) ended up having a 2 hour telephone call with a tech who was telling me the in's and outs of broadband.. thats what happens when you phone up during grave yard shift and get the lonely tech :(

Also they must have decent firewalls/filters as I never use any AV apart from my router. Im no fan of software A/V as that stuff hogs resources.

Ive used telewest for about 4 years. Have the 10mb service, IP rarely changes unless I force it at the router otherwise Ive had the same IP for over 12 months.. which suits me as I run some services from home like my CCTV.

Also they dont monitor bandwidth usage, I probs clock up 100GB + per month.

Had alittle spell couple months back when it was running slow during happy hour (7pm-10pm) ended up having a 2 hour telephone call with a tech who was telling me the in's and outs of broadband.. thats what happens when you phone up during grave yard shift and get the lonely tech :(

Also they must have decent firewalls/filters as I never use any AV apart from my router. Im no fan of software A/V as that stuff hogs resources.

I cant get telewest where I am otherwise it maybe worth a further look..

Ive been with the dreaded AOL since 2000, any problems tech have been great, the indian call centre is shocking, I can't understand a word or I'm going deaf... hmmm

Although I do get a problem every couple of months where I have to re-instal the modem drivers and the odd windows AOL issue

I agree with the comments about Pipex quite frankly it scares the *cough* out of me to even think they are a posibility 123-reg still owe me money from July...

After having nothing but problems with Plus.net after they changed their business model (and just before the started all the data protection breaches and deleting emails) I moved to Zen Internet. They have been absolutely brilliant, the only downtime I have had was BT's fault (and then only 1 hour) and the support have been amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom