Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Buyer not accepting transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does anyone knows what happens on Sedo (ie what their procedure is) when a buyer pays for a name via Escrow but then forgets or chooses to not accept the transfer?

Presume you re-send the transfer email once? If they still don't accept it I assume Sedo will not pay out?

Presume you re-send the transfer email once? If they still don't accept it I assume Sedo will not pay out?

Sedo will definitely not pay until the transfer is complete. Beyond that, not sure exactly what they/you can do - if you insist they will probably give you the buyer's direct contact details, so you could try contacting them to try and get them to move things along.

It's annoying, but since Nominet refunds failed transfers there's no out of pocket cost beyond your time if you need to keep trying a number of times.

If you have their transfer email address, send a hurry up note to that. Those transfer requests can sometimes end up in the spam folder, ask them to look there.

since Nominet refunds failed transfers there's no out of pocket cost beyond your time.

Thanks Edwin, there was no transfer fee paid as the buyer is supposed to pay this on receipt. Strictly there's no out of pocket cost but potentially a missed sale which is rather annoying.

I'm not quite at 5 days yet so will wait and see, getting a bit impatient and ahead of myself as usual!

Foz - yeah I sent them a direct email to the transfer address but no reply, just have a bad feeling about this one.

I've posted a note via the Sedo transfer page asking Sedo to inform buyer that transfer email will expire shortly and that has worked a couple of times.

If the buyer has paid Sedo then can't see why he wouldn't do the transfer.

you can send additional transfer emails even before the five days has expired if has lost the original and just the first one processed will get actioned. It gets complicated with refunds if you pay the fee but if buyer is then no problem.

PS - I know how you feel as personally I'd complete transfer emails within few minutes of receipt and have had many sales completed from start to finish in about 10 mins which is my preferred way of working. I fail to see why everyone doesn't work like that. but from experience it seems I am in the minority. Be surprised if anything to worry about as payment has been made to sedo.

Dave

Last edited:
personally I'd complete transfer emails within few minutes of receipt and have had many sales completed from start to finish in about 10 mins which is my preferred way of working. I fail to see why everyone doesn't work like that.

Agree totally!!!

Will give it another day or two and see what happens.....Just irritated as have already over spent on present for boyfriend's christmas on my credit card on the basis this money was coming in, grrrr!!

We once had a buyer (at Sedo) who paid for a .in domain, then stopped communication for whatever reasons.
After a few weeks, Sedo figured out that there was something wrong, they set up an account for the buyer, pushed the domain to that account, sent the info to the buyer, close the transaction and paid us.

they set up an account for the buyer, pushed the domain to that account, sent the info to the buyer, close the transaction and paid us.

That's good to know! I don't know much about .in domains, do they also have transfer fees associated with them? I can see that being the complicating factor here.

We once had a buyer (at Sedo) who paid for a .in domain, then stopped communication for whatever reasons.
After a few weeks, Sedo figured out that there was something wrong, they set up an account for the buyer, pushed the domain to that account, sent the info to the buyer, close the transaction and paid us.

That reminded me of one sale I had on a co.uk at Sedo and I've just looked it up and the Sedo comment was...

"...Hi Dave,

thank you for the update.
If the transfer fails again, please let us know so we can take over the domain to our Nominet account. We will inform the buyer on 15th, March that if the transfer fails again, Sedo will take over the domain to our Nominet account and that we will charge him for the takeover fee.

Thank you...."

So it looks like the sale should complete as far as you are concerned whatever happens. I guess Sedo are anxious for their %

In my case though the transfer did go ahead at the third attempt ! Useful to know that Sedo are willing to offer that solution though if you need it.

Dave

Last edited:
I have the same problem at the moment and have asked Sedo can the buyer cancel the transaction.

"Hi Mark,

as Sedo has received payment for the domain, the buyer cannot just cancel the transfer at this point of the transfer. In case the buyer will not accept this transfer you have started within 5 days, we will ask you to restart the transfer one more time to the buyer and in case that he will not accept it again, Sedo will take over the domain."

Then I asked them so I of course still get paid then?

"Hi Mark,

Thank you for your comment.

In case Sedo will take over the domain, we will arrange payment to the seller after the domain is listed with our registrar /in our Nominet account."

So you will still get paid as the buyer has already paid them.

I have the same problem at the moment and have asked Sedo can the buyer cancel the transaction.

"Hi Mark,

as Sedo has received payment for the domain, the buyer cannot just cancel the transfer at this point of the transfer. In case the buyer will not accept this transfer you have started within 5 days, we will ask you to restart the transfer one more time to the buyer and in case that he will not accept it again, Sedo will take over the domain."

Then I asked them so I of course still get paid then?

"Hi Mark,

Thank you for your comment.

In case Sedo will take over the domain, we will arrange payment to the seller after the domain is listed with our registrar /in our Nominet account."

So you will still get paid as the buyer has already paid them.

i can confirm this is what Sedo do because I have been in exactly this position in the past.

That's a big improvement on Sedo's end. Good to know.

I've just had a Sedo sale go through after resending the Nominet transfer email 3 times.

I've also had Sedo charge me 58 euros to get back a domain I'd bought and missed accepting the transfer in time.

Once the buyer has paid, the deal will be done one way or another.

Had one earlier this year where buyer had paid for domain on SEDO then left the company. 6 transfer requests later and after having to email/speak to 5 different people at 3 different organizations (web design company who originally purchased the domain, end user, hosting company) finally got them to complete the transfer. How hard can it be to complete the transfer request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom