Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Campsite Site Review Please

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by cc976a, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

I very seldom post for website reviews - but really would be interested in hearing people's opinion on the following site:

www.campsitesearchuk.co.uk

I will warn you in advance, it is not 100% finished. There are some cross browser issues to iron out, css classes around the articles and of course more images - and the actual campsite page needs some work (hyperlink the URL and add county)....why am I posting here again (?)

.....but seriously ignore the 'flaws' for now, they will be addressed, but any thoughts on usability, navigation or angles / marketing options to take this down?

Thanks in advance

2. Aiden Roberts

Aiden Roberts Well-Known Member

Hi

Generally the foundation is there not withstanding the glitches.

Uk campsite, Caravan Sitefinder and Available pitch have very good sites to emulate.

As a previous tent camper and current caravan user I frequent these sites often, searchers are looking for the following:

Advanced search facility in terms of location, campsite facilities, prices, availability, directions, reviews etc.

Plenty of pictures

Quick navagation

Useful campsite information and news

The only thing I would say is given your site is called campsitesearchuk I would intially stick with the campsite search aspect rather than diversifying into recipies, tent erections and the like as your site can develop into these areas later.

I am not qualified to comment on site design but keep it clean and uncluttered, expand your search options and show lots of pictures and you will not go far wrong.

Regards

Aiden

3. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

Thank you Aiden. Appreciate your review (particularly you being a camper / caravaner yourself)

I didn't really like the name and am considering an early rebrand anyway but some very useful tips and advice here.

Thanks

4. peacock Sweden

peacock Active Member

It is supposed to be a UK camp site search, but the drop-downs only seem to contain English counties ?

5. pbryd United Kingdom

pbryd Active Member

I can see why you chose the colour green, it being about camping and grass etc, but it's a quite a cold colour.

See if you can pick out a couple of warmer colours [from your main image perhaps]

Think of the warm morning sun or sunset colours.

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I think a single search field would be better. The search should be advanced enough so that it can cope if you type a name or a location (town, county etc).

Rgds

7. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

Many thanks all:

@Peacock - well spotted. This is something currently being tweaked to include the rest of the UK

@Pbryd - will certainly re-look at the colours

@Accelerator - like the idea. The search function is currently going through an update and will include some of the suggestions from Aiden (such as onsite facilities) but like the idea of keeping it 'Google Simple'.....well as simple as Google used to be!

Any other comments or feedback would be much appreciated

8. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Personally, I would put the search box on the left, the tent image on the right.

Rgds

9. FutureDomain

FutureDomain Active Member

I have to agree with accelerator on this, I would possibly warm up the green used as the main base colour, I do like the general feel of the site.

Just my opinion but the logo sort of makes me think of a charity mailing, not sure which, maybe its just me.

10. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for your comments

Have taken a lot on board and made quite a few changes which includes:

- Moved the search box to the left;
    - Created one search box now with an advanced search option
    - Added facilities to each campsite which can be viewed as icons on the campsite page or searched upon in the advance search option
    - Tidied up the campsite page making more structured
    - Changed the logo (needs some work)
    - Added a theme to the page
    - Brightened up the green and overall colour scheme

It is still WIP and I don't personally like the clash of green in the logo compared with the new colour on page so will change this....

....but like before really would appreciate any comments

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  11. Aiden Roberts

Aiden Roberts Well-Known Member

Morning

I can see you have made a number of changes for the better, the advanced search facility looks good and can always be expanded with more options.

I am not too keen on the aqua background because by it's very nature your visitors will be on the site a while searching, the bright background got on my nerves after about 30 seconds but I can be pedantic when it comes to booking a campsite. I notice you have colour coded headings for each section or is this a design thing, all one colour imho would be better.

All in all looking very positive site with plenty od scope for development and a lucrative market if you can listed in it!

Great stuff

Regards

Aiden

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.