Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

catching server

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEO

Reaction score
Can anyone advise what sort of spec server is required for running a dropcatching script/app?

Can anyone recommend companies?

Thanks Colin, I'm looking for a hosted server. I contacted weycrest but they dont do windows servers. I'm getting a quote on a vps at telehouse but not sure what i need spec wise. i.e. ram/processor etc....

It's not the server, it's the quality of the code combined with the latency to Nominet that's the key. A 386 would probably be sufficient to exceed the DAC limits.

512Kb of ram minimum for a Windows server these days, more if you want a database on it.

To elaborate on what's been said above, the code to check a domain's availability and then try and register it is very very simple. It is not a resource intensive process.

So therefore you can get away with a pretty low spec server.

thanks all, so a standard vps deal will suffice for the script and sql 2005 express?
Would I get away with hosting sites as well?

I'm looking at a couple of hosts in telehouse unless i can find something next door to nominet. i assume their datacentre is oxford too?

yeah thanks.
Sorry, but it was a serious bit of advice.
You don't want a Windows server, or to worry about how physically close it would be to Nominet.

I'm not about to tell you what you do want, but I didn't like seeing you waste money.

FC, when you connect to the server, I assume it works like

You: Connect
Server: Identify
You: Helo, Username:password
Server: Hello Username
You: Check Google
Server: available
You: Register google.co.uk
Server: OK / Error
You: Disconnect

Or something like that...

Do you HAVE to check the domain is available or can you just send the 'register' command ?

If you can do that, then your latancy to is pretty much irrelevant ?

I have loads of idea's to boost responsiveness of DAC querying and registering names, but as I don't have access (as yet), I can't test any.

I'm going to ask my hosting company if I can jack his account for testing, as I he has a tag, but not sure on DAC access.

You: Register google.co.uk
Server: OK / Error
You: Disconnect

Or something like that...

I'd echo FC's earlier comment. Regardless, it's all there on Nominet's website; why not go and have a read?

P.

Hey Philip, I actually didnt think nominet would publically post server interactions, so I hadn't looked.

I'll go look now :)

You echo his earlier comments?
What exactly do I google for to answer my question? You dont find info on dropcatching anywhere. and nominet doesn't advise on servers either.
I have a vb.net script so needed a windows server.

Thanks for being so helpful to a noob. This forum appears to be 90% for selling your domains and the other 10% for the regulars. The noobs just seem to get talked down to imho.

CEO, you need to consider that dropcatching is a living for some people. The ability to catch a £xx,xxx domain name as it drops is a valuable one! The knowledge to do it isn't really out there.

Those who are doing it well have either bought in the knowledge/software (not generally cheap!) or have spent many a day crafting their own system/script to the point of obsession.

People will help you and point you in the right direction but it's not going to come on a plate. If it did, some people would be out of a job!

To be honest, it's never been so good for new dropcatchers - the amount of information that's freely available now is huge compared to what was public a few years ago :mrgreen:.

It's not something that you can successfully do casually, you need to have some technical knowledge on board and some extreme cunning :)

I am curious to know more about your script though - where did you get it from??

Best of luck with it :D

CEO, you need to consider that dropcatching is a living for some people. The ability to catch a £xx,xxx domain name as it drops is a valuable one! The knowledge to do it isn't really out there.

Those who are doing it well have either bought in the knowledge/software (not generally cheap!) or have spent many a day crafting their own system/script to the point of obsession.

People will help you and point you in the right direction but it's not going to come on a plate. If it did, some people would be out of a job!

To be honest, it's never been so good for new dropcatchers - the amount of information that's freely available now is huge compared to what was public a few years ago :mrgreen:.

It's not something that you can successfully do casually, you need to have some technical knowledge on board and some extreme cunning :)

I am curious to know more about your script though - where did you get it from??

Best of luck with it :D

Echo the above.

I am developing anew script and it hadnt occured to me to ask about it on here as i wouldnt expect to tell people if i myself knew.I will have to find out the hard way. I am not new here either.

Rob

Agree with above comments totally and hence haven't asked any questions about the actual scripting. I didn't consider my questions to be top secret or to assist greatly.
Telling me why i don't want a windows server is intriguing and if you dont want me to waste my money then eloborating would be appreciated which I assume wouldn't be elaborating on some holy grail of the dark art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom