Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

catching server

Status
Not open for further replies.
FC, when you connect to the server, I assume it works like

You: Connect
Server: Identify
You: Helo, Username:password
Server: Hello Username
You: Check Google
Server: available
You: Register google.co.uk
Server: OK / Error
You: Disconnect

Or something like that...
That's the outline, but of course the success comes in the tuning of the script.
Do you HAVE to check the domain is available or can you just send the 'register' command ?
If you read the T&C's you'll find the limits, if you exceed the limits Nominet will block you, if you regularly exceed the limits you'll probably find yourself excluded
If you can do that, then your latancy to is pretty much irrelevant ?
If my trip to Nominet is 5ms and yours is 6ms, then my application can be nearly 1ms slower but still beat you as it has less time on the wire :)
I have loads of idea's to boost responsiveness of DAC querying and registering names, but as I don't have access (as yet), I can't test any.
Test, try, retest, try, retest and repeat and repeat, this is the area that you are on your own :)
I'm going to ask my hosting company if I can jack his account for testing, as I he has a tag, but not sure on DAC access.
I would be surprised if anyone let you "play" with their account as if you break anything and get a block they will not be able to register names until that block expires.

Nominet's limits work out at about 5 queries/second if you spread your query allocation over the whole 24 hour period or about 17/sec if you want to blow your allocation at the maximum rate, however in practise domains are released during the whole 24 hour period (I've caught names before 1am and also after 23:30).

There's also another 50-100 systems also competing against your system :)

Good luck!

And another thing. start your own thread instead of moving mine off topic.

Really not doing yourself any favours sunshine.

Despite this being dog eat dog, you will be amazed what being friendly and having manners will get you, in day to day life yet alone in this game.

As said before no one is going to say 'here have my script that cost me 1000 hours of my life, feeds me and my family, oh and while i'm at it, here is my server spec and provider, would you like my kidney now or later ?', but they will give you a nudge in the right direction.

If you don't know the pro's the con's that are inherent with windows vs *nix servers, then you need to google that, and understand the differences, then you are one step closer.

Hey Philip, I actually didnt think nominet would publically post server interactions, so I hadn't looked.

I'll go look now :)

I was responding to your question 'Do you HAVE to check the domain is available or can you just send the 'register' command ?'.

As others have said, there's lots of information out there, so suggest you do some homework ;)

P.

Your one to talk about manners! pissing all over my post is manners is it?

and i'm not the one asking scripting questions sunny jim! my script works fine thanks.
Do you HAVE to check the domain is available or can you just send the 'register' command ?

If you can do that, then your latancy to is pretty much irrelevant ?

I have loads of idea's to boost responsiveness of DAC querying and registering names, but as I don't have access (as yet), I can't test any.

I'm going to ask my hosting company if I can jack his account for testing, as I he has a tag, but not sure on DAC access.

Now go start your own thread like a good boy.

Last edited:
The only thing Windows could catch would be a virus :)

I agree with the advice given here and do not see that members are holding anything back from you CEO, or being insincere.

Catching these days is very competitive so invest your time and money in the script you have rather than worrying too much about the server spec, basically any current day hosted server would do the trick.

Admin

not being insincere? sarcastic links to books? very helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts