Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Cause of 508 error page

Reaction score
I'm seeing this:

Error 508. Resource Limit Is Reached

This website is temporarily unable to service your request as it has exceeded it’s resource limit. Please check back shortly.

I reported it to my host and they say the cause is:

"As per our check, overuse of the account resources is caused by the search engines optimization gaps."

Does anyone know what that even means?

Robots are using up all of the resources you've paid for on your hosting package (processor time, bandwidth, memory allowance, etc).

Move to a better package and consider using htaccess or whatever to block bots you don't care about.

"As per our check, overuse of the account resources is caused by the search engines optimization gaps."

Does anyone know what that even means?

It's not good English and not a good explanation.

If you have good over your allocated resources, it's usually bandwidth, i.e. data allowance. So, your page may have been served a lot of times and you've used up your daily or monthly data allowance. This sometimes happens if bots visit your site and automatically view a lot of your pages. I have had to block a lot of bots from my sites, you might need to do the same.

Odds are excessive memory usage, often caused by poor plug ins. Just check your logs and nuke the hogs.

Odds are excessive memory usage, often caused by poor plug ins. Just check your logs and nuke the hogs.

Thanks Skinner. Did initially think it was plugins so disabled what I could. Remaining ones (only six in total) are pretty standard like Wordfence, Akismet, etc.,

Is it the raw logs in cpanel that I should be looking through?

If you have lots of images and on the fly watermarking / resizing that can be a killer too.

Cpanel logs should show you known bots, Google analytics should also tell you which Ip's are hammering your site.

Failing that, Raw logs will reveal them.

I would check Google analytics first, then cpanel like awstats, then raw.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom