Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

change registrant data for .co.uk

Discussion in 'General Board' started by woopwoop, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woopwoop United States

woopwoop Well-Known Member

Ok just a few questions about this
    - never had to do it with all my sales being .com in the past

With .co.uk I understand changing the details that appear in whois is the same as changing ownership for all purposes.

Is it possible for me to change my real details to fake ones and not have to do anything at nominet? Because legally if I'm changing my details to hide my identity in the whois, I'm not really changing the ownership.

Or if I say change my details through the registrar then maybe they wouldn't show up in the whois because this is sourced from nominet.

When I try and change the details through 1and1 registrar, I get the message at the top

So maybe I'd have to separately change them through nominet, pay the fee (£10 single, £22 bulk) before changes would appear. But if I change them through nominet, that will be a change of ownership, and then there will be the 60 days before I can sell the domain,

Can anyone help clarify the above.

I know it's a bit jumbled and that the reerence to using fake details isn't allowed it's more of an example for me to understand this better.

If I'm doing a simple sale of a .co.uk am i right that I change the tag over then contact nominet to change over the ownership details? Or can the new owner do this by themself?

Thanks for your help.

2. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Look, there is no 60 days, you can buy a domain tonight and sell it on the next minute. Secondly, if you provide fake details, you no longer own the domain, so don't buy a domain only to lose it, it's stupid.

The best way is to change tag after legal transfer as some people don't change registrant details, god knows why but it's a pain. Lastly yes change ownership through Nominet, look up transfers on their site. I think there might be services to hide whois now on uk domains, but again you're hiding it with a third party, if they go bust and the contract doesn't stand, again you've lost your domain.

Lee

3. rjs_essex United Kingdom

rjs_essex Well-Known Member

The whois details are the legally binding details of the registrant. Do not change these to fake details becasue the domain will no longer belong to you (or anyone for that matter). If you want to hide these for annonimity reasons simply opt out of the whois (this can be done from your domain control panel).

You change the tag to the buyers tag so that they can take control of the domain. After this you fill out a Nominet Transfer Form with the details of the curent registrant (you) and a covering letter stating that you want to transfer the domain to the buyer. Then you send the form and letter to the buyer, they fill out their part of the form and write their own covering letter and then send everything off to Nominet. Check the Nominet website: www.nominet.org.uk

Hope this helps!

Rich :cool:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  4. woopwoop United States

Thanks Lee. Am still confused with this a little though

Ok may be confusing the 60 days with .com.
    I get the fake details bit, but this was more for the sake of argument. But there seems to be 2 places that I can change my details

(1) Through the registrant (1and 1)
    (2) Through Nominet

So I was wondering, what effect changing at either has. ie/ changing at nominet, changes the legal ownership and the whois records. Then what does me simply changing it in the registrar control panel do, if anything?
    What happens if I change through just the registrant?

So sell domain, bank money, change ownership through nominet, change tag, buyer informs his registrar that tag change has happened. Is that correct?

Yep I get that. I know that with non-business .co.uk's people can have only their name showing. But I know some people who register or change the name of the owner to their partner. And was thinking the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to make this change. In this sense they aren't so much fake details.

Thanks for your help.

5. woopwoop United States

Perfect, thanks for this Rich

6. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

You can only update the address details through your registrar, the registrant name change has to be done through Nominet.

Grant

7. woopwoop United States

Thanks Grant,

That's the missing piece of the puzzle, that I was trying to understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.