Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.cm must be minting it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How does one get a .cm domain anyone?

I bet the .cm portfolio is worth more than the cameroon national debt!

yesterday

It would be interesting to see their dispute policy.

It does give some idea to the value of search capture right of the dot - something ISP's and browser makers are creaming off.

didnt they wildcard the DNS or something?

for .com typo's

Yep, everything unregistered goes to a parking page directory type thing.

Grant

I have heard it is near impossible to get a .cm domain, too much money to be made out of parking for them. :???:

rob....

rob.... i'm pritty sure i've seen that flag in the millenium stadium before... is it your flag

Clever guy. Good luck to him.

Hope he decides the .uk is good for him!

yesterday

I don't like this. In fact I think it stinks.

This one man (in collaberation with the Cameroon government) has highjacked a complete a countries TLD.

This is not what Cameroon were given their own extention for. It is at minimum meant to be for the people of that country to register a name.

They have no telephone number and their registration page is non existant. :confused:

To top it all, no matter what you type in it goes to one of Mr Ham's parking pages!
http://www.wefqwer345345dfgadfgaeg.cm

I find it hard to believe ICANN have not pulled the plug on them.

According to Ham, he and his team are working with other governments. The dream typo play -- .co -- belongs to Colombia, to which Ham says Seeman paid several visits long before they began working on Cameroon.

As for Colombia, Ham says, "we're making progress."

Any country that allows their TLD to be highjacked for profiteering should have their TLD revoked. There are lots of impoverished countries out there that might be tempted to be "bought out".

Sorry Yesterday, but I completely disagree. I think this stinks big time and makes a mockery of ICANN issuing TLD's

He's clever, no doubt about it.

I agree with you that ICANN is irresponsible.

I don't expect there to be a huge computer community in the Cameroon, given that when I lived in Nigeria - "highly developed" rich african nation, even the basic electricity supplies were touch and go during the day, and worked best at midday when noone used it.

I think Cameroon aren't fools to be taking money for it, and not a bad idea partnering with someone who knows what he's doing. I think they are probably short sighted for the future and I hope that their contract is not an indefinite one.

But given the crime - I think as far as entrepreneurs endeavours go, it's not a big one - for the time being it is a good move by him and cameroon.

yesterday

agree on the ICANN part... but if he wasn't getting the typo traffic, then google, msn & yahoo would!

One would hope that the Cameroon income would go into improving the nations IT infrastructure though I guess they have more pressing needs like food, water, healthcare and even literacy.

Literacy: 63.4% of adult population.
Est. infant mortality: 71 per 1,000 live births
Life expectancy: 56 (Women), 54 (Men)

As a country "it faces many of the serious problems facing other underdeveloped countries, such as a top-heavy civil service and a generally unfavorable climate for business enterprise."

It would be nice if the money skipped this bureaucracy and was actually invested in the right places.

Telephone system:
"general assessment: available only to business and government "

Telephones - main lines in use: 99,400 (2004)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cm.html

Cameroon does seem to have a lot to offer the world.

Great music, beautiful place, good natural resources, alot of interesting stuff:
http://crawfurd.dk/africa/cameroon.htm

Altogether, I would prefer Cameroon to get it than your mistype to go to Microsoft Browser redirected to msn search ad revenue (I thought they had been split into separate companies anyway??)

yesterday

Isn't rick latona doing something with this with domains like poker.cm? I'm sure i read about it on his blog.

Well,

Here's the story behind the .cm

Kevin Ham, the $300 million master of Web domains - June 1, 2007

What a clever boy :)

Sincerely
E-Strategist

Thanks for the link. It seems that he likes to abuse systems:

"Within weeks Ham had struck so many deals that, according to rivals, he controlled most of the direct connections. "I kept telling them to hit them harder," Ham says in a rare boastful moment. "We brought down the servers many times." During one six-month period starting in late 2000, Ham registered more than 10,000 names."

Now, where ICANN stands for which I never trust, it is quite interesting to see how it can go forward. My guess is that money will prevail.

Isn't rick latona doing something with this with domains like poker.cm? I'm sure i read about it on his blog.

There was a blog/forum posting where a proposal was being made to do away with the .com. The perferred model was something along the lines of a TLD like .co.uk which indicates a commerical entity in the country. So you would end up with .co.usa . I'm pretty sure that was the concept but I cannot find where I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom