Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.co.uk better than .com

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by ratboy, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratboy United Kingdom

ratboy Well-Known Member

2. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

In this case I'd probably disagree, though having both tld's does help. I'd clarify that because I think in doing so it 'targets' the english speaking community i.e. the yanks.

It does help that it's a really nice well designed site.

S

3. LogicalDomains United Kingdom

LogicalDomains Active Member

I've never been entirely convinced by .co.uk for placenames, and if you'd never heard of Yorkshire or had no idea that it's in Britain, would you be visiting the site anyway?

4. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

If it was a uk business/market i would always go for the .co.uk first. No exceptions.

5. lebowski

lebowski Active Member

A site dedicated to regional news using a .com just doesn't look right to me. The .co.uk everytime for a uk site. The .com gives a very different flavour. Before we've accessed the site, the ccTLD instantly gives us an idea of what country the site is targeting; visitors find that useful. They are now covering 3 regions; perhaps they have ambitious plans to target overseas once they're done with the UK (though their path wouldn't suggest this). Heh and what better region to start their global empire than Yorkshire :)

6. iain123

iain123 Active Member

always used .com up to now and bought up the others that are available for the same name
    changing the way i work now though

7. rob

rob Founding Member

You have the internet in yorkshire?! I thought it was all still paper based periodicals!?

[​IMG]

8. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Definately .co.uk!

You could add to it by regging nearlancashire.co.uk too! ;)

9. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

If targetting a UK audeince, I would definitely go with the .co.uk . Perhpas though, as someone else mentioned they have aspirations to eventually appeal to those abroad, in which case I can see a case for going .com . Being that they are currently ranked number one for 'yorkshire' I don't suppose they're unhappy with the situation.

The owner of yorkshire.co.uk should consider setting up a site aimed at yorkshire too. He'll probably get more type ins now!

10. HariSeldon United Kingdom

HariSeldon Active Member

Entirely agree. When I'm looking through the SERPS to buy something I automatically assume that a .com will be an 'Americanised' site with prices in dollars and so always choose a .uk over .com when there's a choice.

11. willbon

willbon Active Member

However, by obtaining the 'pair' (.com and .co.uk) you'll have better branding potential and you'll stop anyone else being able to undermine your position.

If it's google you're after, I've seen plenty of UK .com's out ranking same market .co.uk's...

my twopenneth...

Will

12. HariSeldon United Kingdom

HariSeldon Active Member

Agreed that both is better.

That may be true but there are far more .uks outranking .coms in the UK serps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.