Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Computer help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anything appear on the screen at startup or is it completly blank? If you don't see the BIOS then i dont think the recovery discs will be any use. I can send you a link to download a recovery disc if you have another pc to burn it onto a disc.

@ Ty, yes, my laptop looks the same as that image.

@ Bens, the screen is just completely blank. There is no burning stuff on this computer to burn one a recovery disk, thanks though.

Weird, my laptop is now working again :confused:

I tried something I did on an old desktop years ago that wouldnt start, put both hands on keyboard and press as many random keys with palms and fingers as possible for about a minute, hopefully by doing that, it gets the computer to stop what it was trying to do before with all the new commands from pressed keys, anyway, I removed the battery, put it back in, turned it on and it booted up straight away without any error messages, might just be a coincidence that it worked, though?

I'll get a memory stick tomorrow, or possibly one of those external hard drives, will have a look on Argos in a minute to see what they've got, that's providing the computer is still working when I switch it on tomorrow :lol:

I've emailed myself a couple of important txt files with all my domains/notes on them, which is the most important thing on here from my point of view, so at least those are safe if it goes down again.

Last edited:
dont worry you will soon get the hang of it :D

Attachments

• laptop.jpg
    laptop.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 38
Very funny Wayne :lol:

Would be nice to know why it wouldn't start all day, though, but I guess I'll never know.

Very funny Wayne :lol:

Would be nice to know why it wouldn't start all day, though, but I guess I'll never know.

Can you try it without the battery via the mains ?

If this works then its the battery

reset the bios options (if accessible)

use the function key to flick between crt/lcd screen formats

Sorry i havn't read the replies only the op (first para)

in a rush g2g lol

If it happens again try it with a monitor on the VGA port.
Is this a HP 6715 by any chance. Ive seen quite a few do this recently.

If it happens again try it with a monitor on the VGA port.

@ Jimm, when I started using this laptop a few months ago, I wanted to use my old monitor instead of the wide screen on the laptop, as I preferred the 800x600 resolution of my monitor. I wasn't aware at the time that I could plug my old monitor in to the laptop to use it until someone told me I could do that, anyway, I tried it and nothing came up on the monitor, but the laptop screen was showing what should have been the 800x600 resolution, no idea how this techy stuff works.

Is this a HP 6715 by any chance.

Mine is a HP Pavilion DV6331eu

Can you try it without the battery via the mains ?

If this works then its the battery

I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens, but I always run it from the mains all the time whilst the battery is still plugged in to the laptop.

reset the bios options (if accessible)

use the function key to flick between crt/lcd screen formats

I have no idea what bios are or what those function keys are?

Last edited:
It's possible it may have been trying to use the external VGA output as I think that is switched by an F key and you may have pressed it by mistake and you may well have put it back now to inbuilt screen, so it could all be "fixed"

@ Redbird, I definitely didn't hit any key by accident when I switched the computer on today, all I do is hit the on button and then use a wireless keyboard, which hadn't yet been plugged in when I switched the laptop on, it did the same the other day but not for anywhere near as long and taking the battery out worked first time on that occasion.

Just a thought as I remembered now what happened to mine. I used to use it via a KVM and sometimes when I switched it off and restarted it wouldn't display on internal screen unless I took the battery out, took me ages to discover that that would reset it. No idea why it worked but it did.

Hopefully it's OK now, but do take backups ASAP because these things only ever go wrong when you don't have a backup :)

Dave

@ Jimm, when I started using this laptop a few months ago, I wanted to use my old monitor instead of the wide screen on the laptop, as I preferred the 800x600 resolution of my monitor. I wasn't aware at the time that I could plug my old monitor in to the laptop to use it until someone told me I could do that, anyway, I tried it and nothing came up on the monitor, but the laptop screen was showing what should have been the 800x600 resolution, no idea how this techy stuff works.

Mine is a HP Pavilion DV6331eu

I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens, but I always run it from the mains all the time whilst the battery is still plugged in to the laptop.

I have no idea what bios are or what those function keys are?

On my dell laptop i have a f8 key and on that key it says crt/lcd, you should have one with a monitor symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom