Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet Consultation opens on significant changes to .UK registry systems

Acorn Newsbot

Reaction score
We have launched a new consultation on proposed changes to the technical systems and processes our registrars and registrants use to register and manage .UK domains.

The technical systems that administer .UK domains are predominantly bespoke and have evolved over time. To support gTLD and ccTLD clients, we developed a second platform that uses Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP). Now, it is time to bring these two systems together in a modernised codebase to align with global domain industry standards, improve the customer experience, increase security and deliver efficiencies. This also gives the opportunity for our members to identify what they believe works well, and what could also be improved.

Eleanor Bradley, Managing Director, Registry, Nominet said:

“From initial discussions with stakeholders in 2022, we’ve developed detailed proposals on the changes we would like to make. We recognise these are significant, but if they go ahead, we will deliver a platform that is easier to use and simpler to maintain. We encourage our members to read the proposals and give us feedback, which we will take into account with the changes we make, and how they are implemented.”

The consultation is open until 26th April 2024 and is your opportunity to shape our future plans before we commit to changes. More information and the consultation documents are available on Registrar Resources and the Nominet website. Registration for stakeholder events is also open. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].

The post Consultation opens on significant changes to .UK registry systems appeared first on Nominet.

Continue reading...

These are significant changes to the .uk registry and I would urge anyone who is a Nominet registrar to have a close read and respond to the consultation.
Even if you are non-technical and think you don't know or care what EPP is and does, you will still be impacted by this one way or another.

Some of the things proposed that to me feel are the most important:

- a "pull" instead of the existing "push" domain transfer, the same as the gTLD world via an auth code; no more "tag change" to transfer a domain

- domains might auto-renew by default unless you manually delete them; so instead of just letting it expire and subsequently drop, you might have to send a <delete> command to initiate the redemption/pending delete period and drop

- discontinuing the .uk WHOIS (that's the entire Whois protocol on port 43, not the website) and offering domain queries solely via RDAP protocol and https

- discontinuing the DAC and instead offering higher limits via EPP <check>

- replace WDM with Dragon (supposedly a more modern registry interface)

Modernisation-and-simplication-of-platform.png

There is a thread on the Nominet Forum where I'm sure if you post any questions the Nominet team will try to answer.

Last edited:
Forgive my dumb question - what's wrong with the current 'pull' with a Tag system. It seems to have worked ok for over 20 years, what is the benefit of going down the auth route (please someone don't just say security ).

Forgive my dumb question
There are no such thing as dumb questions, only dumb answers ;)

what's wrong with the current 'pull' with a Tag system
They are not proposing these changes because the existing system is wrong or broken, but in order to standardise and have consistency across different platforms they operate.
In my view, the "pull" system is more familiar and makes more sense to the average domain buyer. I've had plenty of buyers to whom I've had to explain the tag change process and how they should initiate the transfer at their registrar first. I've also had a couple of unfortunate incidents, one just this past month, where the domain ended up in the wrong client account of a large public registrar because of a long-forgotten pending transfer in their system. It took a lot of time on the phone with their customers support and Nominet to get it resolved, all while the buyer was questioning my authenticity and whether they have just been scammed.
That being said, I also appreciate the speed the ease of the tag change. It works very well between registrars/domainers.
So I will respond in the consultation that they should keep both methods or offer an equivalent solution to tag change.

If I was a cynical person I'd say this update will keep Nominet IT department going for another 10 years, and justify future price increases.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom