Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Court orders Nominet to repay Member Subscriptions

Does this mean we can expect to be refunded our original £400 joining fee plus £100 for every year that we have been members?
There's usually a six year limitation period for what you can claim. As far as I can see, there is no right to charge a joining fee anywhere. So maybe a £1,000 per member as a starting point.

But in Iain Mitchell KC's opinion (link here), he raises the question of unjust enrichment, which in turn might mean that no limitation period applies. It's a complicated question that he leaves open in his opinion, but it could mean it's possible to go back to 1997/98.

You'll see at the end of his opinion he urged the parties to try to sort things out by discussing them. All of us involved in Weighted Voting agreed and we tried. We've particiapted in many member calls and events. Unfortunately, all attempts to open more formal talks with the Nominet board have been declined.

Is it possible to get a copy of the claim that was filed?

Really interesting. As a member no more, I'd love to receive back the money I invested into the membership initially. Can't see Nominet doling out £5m though

Really interesting. As a member no more, I'd love to receive back the money I invested into the membership initially. Can't see Nominet doling out £5m though

In principle, I think you may well be able to bring a claim.

As to the total possible liability, there have been a number of cases dealing with the rights of air passengers under an EU Regulation of 2004. Many of those started in small claims or similar type courts and ended up in the European Court of Justice. The airlines fought them so hard because they realised while a specific claim was modest, the effect of a decision against them would mean significant exposure to compensation payments.

So it's not as simple as Nominet now not wanting to pay out. If they have not opposed a claim for a refund here and so accepted liability, which appears to have happened here, then what is to stop any other members or former members from making a virtually identical claim?

When the whole landscape about subscriptions appears to have changed so dramatically, how can the consultation continue?

Last edited:
Appreciate your work, Jim. It should be you for NED, but we know Nominet are out for themselves at this stage. The whole structure needs a reset.

First I've heard of this, thankyou to whoever did this...

I hope this doesn't mean price rises to cover refunds (if there are refunds).

I hope this doesn't mean price rises to cover refunds (if there are refunds).

Good point - but they can't be that hard up. They've just agree to fund one charity for £4.5m over 3 years. Domain registrants should come first - after all it's our reg fees that fund all their wages, bonuses, book publication fees, and good causes. That's why Jim should be on the ballot - he was committed to bring down reg fees. After all lower reg fees means more domains will be renewed

Last edited:
There can be no justification for raising prices. They should never have raised them last time, Nominet had far more income than it needed to operate the registry at the old £2.50/ yr price, hence being able to siphon off £tens of millions into the Nominet Trust (£44 million between 2008 and 2018 alone plus many millions more on failed ventures - so £5 million back to members is chicken feed). With such excesses, reg fees should have been lowered but as we all know there was very bad management at the helm, and ultimately they inflamed the wrath of the membership and had to pay the price with an untimely and ignoble eviction from office.

But now Nominet should act honorably towards its membership and reimburse members out of their more than ample revenue, then immediately lower prices in line with the cost base. Anything else would not be acting in the membership's interest or operating the registry efficiently for the public good.

There can be no justification for raising prices. They should never have raised them last time, Nominet had far more income than it needed to operate the registry at the old £2.50/ yr price, hence being able to siphon off £tens of millions into the Nominet Trust (£44 million between 2008 and 2018 alone plus many millions more on failed ventures - so £5 million back to members is chicken feed). With such excesses, reg fees should have been lowered but as we all know there was very bad management at the helm, and ultimately they inflamed the wrath of the membership and had to pay the price with an untimely and ignoble eviction from office.

But now Nominet should act honorably towards its membership and reimburse members out of their more than ample revenue, then immediately lower prices in line with the cost base. Anything else would not be acting in the membership's interest or operating the registry efficiently for the public good.

I'm pretty sure they have every intention of raising prices. I predict an announcement of an increase to £4.30+VAT by the end of the year. Even though point 2 of the public benefit agenda was to reduce prices.

Maybe someone with more legal knowledge than myself could comment on the possibility of a group litigation order. The costs could be split between the litigants and would be preferable to single members looking at county court action.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom