Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Database connection error after converting old script

I assume config.php contains definitions for _HOST, _USERNAME, _PASSWORD, and _DATABASE and they haven't changed?
The error is very explanatory in that either the _DATABASE doesn't exist or has changed name or the _USERNAME can't be applied to it.
Also I hate people using select_db with mysqli.
You can change the two lines:

mysqli_connect(_HOST, _USERNAME, _PASSWORD) or die('Could not connect: ' . mysqli_error($link));
mysqli_select_db($link, _DATABASE) or die('Could not select database');

into

$link=mysqli_connect(_HOST, _USERNAME, _PASSWORD,_DATABASE) or die('Could not connect: ' . mysqli_error());

because mysqli_connect can take 4 parameters. Not a major thing (and not the cause of your bug) but just neater and quicker.

Last edited:
I'd seriously consider getting that script checked out by a professional before leaving it running, it looks vulnerable to something called SQL injection. Especially as you've now pasted the code on a forum.

Thanks Dave,

I've advertised for a new build but no takers as yet which is why I dug out this old mysql one

Anyone on Acorn who wants to quote send me a pm

Ah I have just seen Robs also, thanks Rob, yes config ok and yes its very poorly written. I think from the comments its to the bin with it :)

Well you can sanitise the input easy enough by enclosing anything that the user can input within mysqli_real_escape_string([database],[statement])
Change the line from:
$_sql = 'SELECT * FROM users WHERE user_login=\'' . $user_login . '\' and user_pass=\'' . $user_pass . '\' and user_status=1';

to

$_sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE user_login='" .mysqli_real_escape_string($link,$user_login) . "' and user_pass="' . mysqli_real_escape_string($link,$user_pass) .'" and user_status=1";

and move it to the line after my suggestion:

$link=mysqli_connect(_HOST, _USERNAME, _PASSWORD,_DATABASE) or die('Could not connect: ' . mysqli_error());

However that still doesn't address your problem. I would like to see the contents of the config file. If that's all ok then are you sure the database it's looking for exists on the server you're on?

Wound it back and connects fine. Still don't know why it wouldn't connect though with updated code but due to injection mentioned above its for the bin.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom