Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Dedicated Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a 16GB dedicated server but I am looking for a 64GB dedicated server anyone know of any good companies and prices.

Thanks
Norman

You don't give much info to go on, self managed or fully managed, desired location, traffic profile and so on will help people give you advise.

If you want a budget server in the UK with good connection to LINX and you can self manage then give Poundhost or rapidswitch a look.

You don't give much info to go on, self managed or fully managed, desired location, traffic profile and so on will help people give you advise.

If you want a budget server in the UK with good connection to LINX and you can self manage then give Poundhost or rapidswitch a look.

Sorry fully managed and in the UK it would be used to host our ecommerce sites on. A lot of the sites have lots of HD images and video.

Do you really need to upgrade? Can't you use a CDN for the images and video to take load off the server. There are loads of good services out there that can reduce the need for scaling up. Also, don't forget solid state drives (if you can get a host that offers support for them) as often servers are IO constrained.

Although you might not use Amazon Web Services it's worth having a good look at the cloud services they offer (Not just EC2 but DynamoDB and all of the other stuff) to see if there are services out there that you could benefit from (there are other providers that offer similar for many of the AWS services).

I use AWS to run 19 servers (18 small ones and one large control server) for tasks that do not need to be on our Rackspace servers (and use the Rackspace CDN for image serving to improve page delivery speed). It has given me a great deal of flexibility at a low cost.

Ghengis,

Amazon has its uses but make sure you provision in at least 2 locations. Its reliability leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm a personal fan of cloudflare and several thousand of our clients use it. Useful as both a CDN and an additional level of security.

As for the spec itself, obviously more RAM is great for database intensive sites. But don't compromise on the CPU and the disk system too. You probably want RAID10 to make maximum use of all of that RAM. And well configured software plays a major part too - tweaked webserver, memcached, etc.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom