Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Direct Domain Sales

Discussion in 'Services Wanted' started by Admin, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Is anyone doing this yet as a service? For example, I give you a selection of domains and a minimum expected price I would take for them and you try and sell them using Google search and a prepared message. You take a commission on the sales value, e.g. 15%.

Seems a no brainer to me for someone self motivated and trying to earn.

2. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

I'm sure plenty people on here would be happy to provide this. Heck i'd be happy to give it a go if you want to PM me a list over.

3. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I think the problem becomes one of 'High-Expectations' and Quite often Near 'worthless' lists from the Potential sellers. A few years back, I let it be known both on here and another site that I had plenty of Free-time on my hands. It didn't prove a Good-move on my Part. - don't think I've ever got to clear my inbox.

The other problem is one of 'Usability and Targeting. Give me a domain that has one or two Pretty much 'set-in-stone' Potential buyers Anyday. Than a domain that has Fantastic 'General appeal' But, NO 'Real Pressing (I'm missing-out) considerations.

4. Admin

Agreed Bailey, my first example is accountantsedinburgh - a quick Google reveals how competitive it is and how much is being spent on Adwords. And I don't care what Google or anyone else says, keyword domains still have a ranking advantage all things being equal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ian

ian Well-Known Member

I do this for select domains of my own, and for others...just have to be prepared for plenty of non-replies and rejection. The main issue is proving you are authorised to negotiate on behalf of the owner, always easier to have the domains in your own registrant details.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ImageAuthors United States

ImageAuthors Retired Member

Am I missing something? What you're describing – selling someone else's domain based on prearranged price guidelines in exchange for a 15% commission – is any domain broker.

I get pelted with people's lists – sometimes several per day – by domainers eager to outsource the work of selling. Personally I never act as a seller's broker. Plenty of brokers are out there, though. A few of them even go beyond their own mailing lists and write emails to targeted buyers. (Yes, that's irony.)

Brokers generally only work on domain categories that sell consistently for high prices. Otherwise that 15% commission is too low, given the low success rate in outbound sales. Most sellable domains aren't brokerage-worthy for that reason.

In the past, I trained a few guys to do outbound for me – students in the USA or India, to whom I'd entrust the lower-value stuff. Those that showed some talent ... stopped selling for me right away and went on to great success with more premium inventory!

7. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member

A broker on flat rate commission, will naturally regard higher value domains as a more appealing proposition than numerous smaller sales. However, the latter may yield a better return on time and effort, plus a more regular income.

It is relatively easy to find willing buyers into four figures. Beyond that level, large budgets are scarce and easy sales even more so.

What would be sufficient remuneration for a "broker" with suitable experience and access to a broad range of domains which already achieve regular sales from inbound enquiries?

8. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Selling Other Peoples Domains. Well I think It is a 'Sticky Wicket' for any Free-lancer to play. You mention above "Already Achieving regular Sales from Inbound" So Why the need to have an Agent ??.. And If Anybody really wanted to get their head around things - You Might Just as well Pre-Identify a Buyer /And a seller of a domain. Then make an offer to Purchase. etc that Cuts you 'The Middle man a nice Chunk'. Sure there's Pitfalls to Navigate. But, they'll be no worse than You as 'Sellers Agent' will be Subject to in the First place.

The Problem most sellers find Hard to Navigate (Including Myself in the beginning) is committing to a Price. That will probably be Tenfold when working on the sellers behalf as an Agent

I can Honestly Say I've learnt over the Years How to Commit to a 'Reasonable Price' (yes My Identification of What's Reasonable) But. I think I can Honestly say I've Never had a Sale fall-through. Sure I might not have come to an agreement on Price But, then that was never a Sale in the first Place.

I be very Happy to work on behalf of somebody with a reasonable Portfolio - providing they had a commitment on Pricing. My Commission being what I can make on Top. And Of Course If I got turned-over. It would only happen once - the Loss would be on who's behalf I acted.

I'm Retired these days - Have my Wonderful Sues Widows Pension to thank, for Not having done a days work (or claimed a pennies worth of Benefits) for Ten Years.(never have done/claimed prior either) - And I still consider myself a Young 60 (made 60 in Jan this year)- I am going to get to work on my own Domains (400+)- And I've No Problem Putting One or possibly Two Other Portfolios Beside my own domains - Preferably a .co.uk portfolio with UK rights. But they must be Pre-set Price Grouped - YES, I need to pick and Choose what I work With to. As a Rule, I don't want to work with with 'Single word' Generics - (unless they are a Self-employed, small employer type Generics) Two-words are in most business names (or description) And It's the type of Names I already own - so easier to sweep the Possibilities for two/three sellers at once - If you get my drift. Don't Worry about being/having 'Catchy type Wording' I can work with that (so long as there's no visual-reading confusion)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  9. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I'm Going to add - Thank you Rochford Council for Giving me This Lovely Retirement Apartment (last year) within a week of Asking (when I came back from my two years of travels) - Nope - Nobody else in Rochford can believe it either. Trust me it's NOT Cheap - I've only just found out i'm one of only two that actually pays their own way in here. But it is Beautiful. And I do need to add a Small income to afford to stay.

Smartmetrics /. as a com is the way I work, When I work (Never done anything with that or my other domains though) But, I know I'm a Good Seller and communicator on a one-to-one/ Sometimes many, basis. Convincing 100 + east London Lads/ Ladies/ father/ employees - Back in my days of selling /Managing for Thorn EMI Taught me how to feel Proud of good outcomes (and never lose a good all-round proposition) ;)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I look at a lot of Domains on Domainlore. and think Yep I could work with/sell that. But would the seller be equally happy at making just three times the realistic DL selling Price or overbuild there own expectations.

And for Any that think - Why Not Just Buy Yourself ? - I love the idea of working Risk free and I didn't want to personally Own any part of Thorn EMI Either. A profitable Challenge/learning curve Appeals to Me

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  11. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member

Interesting points raised by Bailey.

Inbound sales may cover costs and provide some income but there is usually scope for much more. Selling on commission is a gamble, with several factors influencing the rewards. Assuming clear terms and integrity of parties concerned, the rest is down to experience and effort.

In theory it is an ideal setup offering a good income. In practice the main hurdles are high seller prices, and buyers' reluctance to deal with a third party. There are a few other potential issues.

As ImageAuthors pointed out, someone with the skills to do this well is likely to move on to bigger and more remunerative challenges.

12. Admin

@Lovekraft - got some good news for you.... i perserved with our 'bite' on that 1 domain I gave you to try and tenacity has paid, they have come through and paid the whole lot. I owe you £135 sales commission ;). Time to do some more ...seeing as you have a 100% success record ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

That's great news Steve, glad it came through in the end. PM me!

14. dnauctions

dnauctions Active Member

Hi All,

I've got a reasonable list of just under 1200 domains of which i'm looking at selling up to 90% of them for reasonable prices.

I have about 75% of them listed here at http://www.uniquedomains.forsale/

I'm very flexible on sale prices, and to be honest, I'd be happy to provide 50% commission on any amount over $100 USD per domain.

PM me any domains you feel you could move, obviously the higher the sale price the better it would be for all parties.