Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DiscountVouchers.net

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by Frog, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frog

Frog Active Member

The .com obviously went for £100k in a recent high profile sale - what is the value of my .net?

Thanks.

2. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

whois shows it's in sedo transfer service
    did you just buy? or sell? :)

for what it's worth i think the .com sale isn't a reflection of it's normal worth. it's not worth that much tbh, but doug was the perfect enduser as he owned the .co.uk

imo,the .net is worth a fraction , as always
    however if developed well it can start earning

but, i personally wouldn't build a site or a brand on a .net

so in answer to the question, i would say about £500 - £700 reseller
    doug maybe interested and pay more but the yanks won't care for a net with the word 'voucher' in, and brits won't care for the net:p

• Like Like x 1
  3. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

I love that .net is such an under valued TLD given its like the 4th most popular TLD in the world after .com, .cn & .de !!

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frog

Frog Active Member

I bought it a while ago, its still stuck in Sedo - taking its time to make its way to my moniker account...

Doug obviously has a voucher site on the .co.uk. I myself have one on the .org.

For the right money I'd be willing to create a competitor for myself on the .net, and use the proceeds to promote my own site. Considering going "all in" and offering a completely custom voucher code website on the .net, using the script (with a new design) from discountvouchers.org. What would the value be with that?

Any feedback both positive/negative appreciated - feel free to be as honest as you like, I won't take offence :D

5. Frog

Frog Active Member

I think you are wrong in saying Brits won't care for a .net - I've got plenty sites that are .nets that rank and get just as many clicks/conversions as my .orgs and .org.uk's and so on. I don't think the UK searchers see a .net as not being relevant to UK?

Exact match volume (google adwords) is 27k/33k for UK/global. The traffic can be pretty valuable since you're inserting yourself at the very end of the buying chain, so far more likely to turn into a commission paying transaction.

6. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

i meant buyers of domains
    this is domain appraisals section, not website appraisal

people will click on your link when developed, but the .net kills a 'brand' imho.

trust me, i speak from experience, british buyers are not interested in nets, however good
    99% anyway.

.com, .co.uk and to a lesser extent .org.uk

i see .org.uk regged when even nets are free

christ, bathrooms.net got hardly a flicker of interest on here and sold for about 6k in the end. maybe less
    that is a one word category cruncher and in a different league to this one

at least bathrooms, you have the chance of a proper enduser buying too in the end. well developed

7. Frog

Frog Active Member

Fair points. Perhaps I should copy the script over from discountvouchers.org, put a new design on it, and try and sell it as a completed site.

Already had a couple of offers on the domain for a fair bit more than I paid, I guess people looking to speculate on it after seeing how much the .com went for. When the original owner realises he .com went for 6 figures he's going to wish he never sold :D

8. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

yes, developing is best bet, then it becomes a different animal
    but your buyer is still the same beast, domainers/developers

there are huge opportunities going wanting in different extensions. bathrooms.net was a prime example. absolute steal

i like alternate extensions sometimes myself, and the bonus will be the search engines will love .net, even if domainers don't

9. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

I think discountvouchers.net is worth £2 - £3k.

Then again I rate .net's :)

I agree... bathrooms.net was a total bargain :rolleyes:

You should be a gent and email doug and ask him for first refusal. He's tight :D.... but at the end of the day you prob not asking for looney cash and he might well be in the mood to spend an hours earnings on making sure one of his competitors doesnt try bag it to play wind up!

10. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member

Frog > This name was just for sale on sedo for $5,500 / submit offer - The whois only just changed over the past 3 days as i was offered it :)

Whois was >>>

DotCorner.com
    Domain Administrator ()
    +1.3008207971
    Fax:
    SDH-351, Street No. 1
    AOHS, Falcon Complex
    Karachi, 75350
    PK

Owned it for years, lol, nice buy...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  11. Frog

Frog Active Member

Yup as mentioned it was bought on Sedo. I figured as soon as the .com sale was public knowledge, someone would either buy the .net or the original owner would jack the price up so decided it was best that I get in there first. Its obviously turned out to be a good decision as I've had a couple of offers at way more than I paid for it :)

12. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

Theres nothing wrong with speculative piggy backing ;)

13. Frog

Frog Active Member

Thats the risk you take when you develop an exact match domain without owning all the extensions. I've got probably 20 sites that are earning good money, but I don't own the other extensions as I bought them on the aftermarket.

They probably wouldn't have even got to the stage of earning "good money" if they hadn't been getting the exact match bonus. Prime example is searchengineoptimisation.org - it ranks 3rd, and I'd love to have the other extensions but they were out of reach for me. Now there are competitors on them that I need to fight off.

I could have got all the extensions of FROGseo but would never have ranked with that :D On the one above we did actually have the .org.uk but sold it off recently. Will be kicking myself if it ends up outranking us!

14. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

Nice buy, regret that i didnt take action on it a bit earlier... Was close to buying it 2/3 weeks ago but decided to invest elsewhere.

15. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

Are we interested?

The reallity is we are the prime buyer to anyone:) As Barry realised:)

We bought the .com simply because we have spent millions developing and marketing the .co.uk already and are planning to spend a massive amount more....watch this space:):)

We will take the other extensions, but our belief is we have the 2 main extensions now and thats the job done.

If people want to sell us the other extensions for not much then ok....but we have no interest in buying any more for numbers that are greater than a few hundred pounds. So if someone has offered you thousands then take it and run, because we won't be buying from anyone for those amounts.

Doug

16. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

what a shame....he was thinking he was going to be £xx,xxx richer..;)

persoanlly i do not rank net's....i personally think it is a extension from time gone buy and i know the U.S still think they are o.k...but i have had no joy

17. Frog

Frog Active Member

I'd be lying if I said the thought that Doug might be interested hadn't crossed my mind.

I'm going to flip the domain, the only thing I need to decide on is whether to put a site on it or sell it as a raw domain. Even if Doug is saying he doesn't want it, the fact he paid 100k for the .com has massively inflated the price of every other extension. Thankfully I own 2 of those :D Someone emailed me today (via the .org) offering "seo services for your £100k domain", obviously got lost on the way. Doug if you need SEO i'll forward you their email :p

I think on the traffic volume alone the domain is worth a couple of k, the events of the last week has only increased it from there. I've had a couple of offers of more than double what I paid for it, I guess those people are hoping to flip it to the owner of the 100k one lol.

Thanks for the feedback everyone who replied, if anyone has anything to add, feel free.

18. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

If you can, put up a site, increase the rank a bit, and flip. Will probably be worth it, especially if you can sort it out yourself.

19. Frog

Frog Active Member

The problem is I own the .org that has an actual site on it. I don't think its a good use of resources link building to the .net to sell - I'd be better doing the link building to the .org. Since I've already got the script and everything developed, setting up a site on it is going to be easy, ranking it not so much!

20. pugyrob United Kingdom

pugyrob Well-Known Member

I own iva.net and the seo benefit is as good as any other extension, downside is no real brand opportunities.

That said, if I owned the com and co.uk and the net and org went In the WRONG hands of serious competition I would want them. Don't know this market well enough but the other tld's can def be an irritant in seo terms.

I imagine that it is slot more about branding than pure seo for Dougs though. Just ranking the exact match is 5 percent of the opportunity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.