Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DL Sale: paydaylender.co.uk (300 GBP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coca-Cola is a brand, arguably booze could become a brand but drink is a dull emotionless word, why on earth would you they call themselves Drink?

Many domainer's have an obsession with generic words and have never gotten or chose not to accept the fact that most people like the emotion and prestige of brands, always have, always will.

A mixture of Google's dominance of search and their over emphasis on exact match domains and the public's relative inexperience of the internet created a false illusion for a period during which domainers sold lot's of domains to people like Monkey and everyone made lots of money but tough as it is to swallow, those days are over and are unlikely to return, brands have regained their rightful place at the top, of in this case Google.

I was talking specifically about recall. Not necessarily what brand name you could use.

The example was specifically what would be easier recall "Drink" or a new non generic brand name.

Monkey and Sean are correct, anyone saying otherwise should realise greed got the better of them and they held on to something far longer than they should.

If a price of a non perishable commodity drops, someone is left holding the losses, whether it's the manufacturer or the consumer, that's life.

I think this is really just a domainer bashing thread.

I don't like what appears to be retribution, it's negative.

The example was specifically what would be easier recall "Drink" or a new non generic brand name.

What will drive the recall is what the brand delivered, not the brand word. This builds an association in the mind of the consumer to the brand word. How did it taste, how does it look, what did it cost, how was it presented, was the service surrounding the product good (nice glass, chilled etc)...

The problem is if the brand did all these things really well, and there was good recall, they have then associated their specific brand qualities to a generic word - which is suicide.

I think I recall a nice drink that I had last year, but I think it was called drink? What good is that online? Do I type in drink in Google to find it?

At the other end of the scale, large brands spend lots of money, and go to court even, to prevent their brand name becoming a generic word for the service or product offered. Google have done it, they don't want people to describe the use of Bing as "Googling". There are many classic examples in the past, hoover, portacabin, xerox etc.

I think this is really just a domainer bashing thread.

I'm not trying to bash anyone, it really doesn't matter to me if people hold on to domains. Frankly they are so cheap now anyway that its not a problem for a business - I've seen 2 go on DL recently for around £1k that are good enough to build a niche brand on.

However, in an earlier thread you stated that MSM had a good deal paying £9m for the generic financial domains. They bought these domains when they were making revenue, continued to use them, and then in their own words have published the fact that they were wrong, and under their own valuation methodology the domains are worthless - so they stopped using them.

What will drive the recall is what the brand delivered, not the brand word. This builds an association in the mind of the consumer to the brand word. How did it taste, how does it look, what did it cost, how was it presented, was the service surrounding the product good (nice glass, chilled etc)...

The problem is if the brand did all these things really well, and there was good recall, they have then associated their specific brand qualities to a generic word - which is suicide.

I think I recall a nice drink that I had last year, but I think it was called drink? What good is that online? Do I type in drink in Google to find it?

At the other end of the scale, large brands spend lots of money, and go to court even, to prevent their brand name becoming a generic word for the service or product offered. Google have done it, they don't want people to describe the use of Bing as "Googling". There are many classic examples in the past, hoover, portacabin, xerox etc.

I'm not trying to bash anyone, it really doesn't matter to me if people hold on to domains. Frankly they are so cheap now anyway that its not a problem for a business - I've seen 2 go on DL recently for around £1k that are good enough to build a niche brand on.

However, in an earlier thread you stated that MSM had a good deal paying £9m for the generic financial domains. They bought these domains when they were making revenue, continued to use them, and then in their own words have published the fact that they were wrong, and under their own valuation methodology the domains are worthless - so they stopped using them.

I'm not going to argue about individual companies accounting methods, full stop.
I may be alone at the moment but though prices have dropped for obvious reasons, category killer domains are the best investment a new or small company can make ( large companies if it meets their specific objectives )especially at todays prices.

Personally the generic brand, why would I want a drink of Drink? Can you imagine going into a bar and saying, can I have a glass of Drink barman!

I can recall thousands of dictionary words like drink, for example "car" is a word in my vocabulary but if I was in the market to buy a car I'd go to, Dacia.co.uk or type Dacia into Google because I know what a cheap brand of car is, I wouldn't type car.co.uk or type car into Google.

If a new brand of car was announced today called Car, (I think) we'd say they were idiots for calling themselves Car or a new drink called Drink.

Again the example I made was regarding recall, the poster said advertisers were of the opinion that a brand had easier recall than a generic term.
I said if a drink company started from scratch today without billions to throw at marketing would a particular generic word offer easier recall than the brand name, to me it's a no brainer, but obviously not the whole argument.

Opinions differ, that's healthy, but I am of the opinion that should I start a cleaning company today I would start with a generic such as "cleans", if I could, rather than jhgcleaning.

I'm not going to argue about individual companies accounting methods, full stop.
I may be alone at the moment but though prices have dropped for obvious reasons, category killer domains are the best investment a new or small company can make ( large companies if it meets their specific objectives )especially at todays prices.

Agree with this and the people holding the very best domains either know it too or don't need to sell. When I said previously prices haven't changed, I meant at the top end of the market for mortagages.co.uk etc. IF it is a domain upon which a good brand could be built.

I've been enquiring about two specific domains over the past few years and the sellers won't budge from mid-high £00000. But I can respect this stance, because in my opinion, these domains haven't diminished in value (one of them is dance).

Last edited:
Do you mind me asking what your plans are for dance.co.uk?

I would never buy it at the price they are asking so it won't happen; which is why I disclosed the domain. But I simply envisaged a website/brand on Dance.uk as on online retailer.

It'd be interesting if you put Dance.co.uk in the appraisals section and see what people think it's worth compared to what they're asking. I know some people frown upon asking for appraisals on names you don't own but bollocks to that, if you want an appraisal for a domain you're thinking of buying, you have every right to ask.

You're going to get people thinking it's the best name under the sun because it's a short generic word and then you're going to get people looking at it from the other side thinking it's impossible to develop, too generic to build a memorable brand out of etc. Honestly, an appraisal is just going to yield useless figures.

You're going to get people thinking it's the best name under the sun because it's a short generic word and then you're going to get people looking at it from the other side thinking it's impossible to develop, too generic to build a memorable brand out of etc. Honestly, an appraisal is just going to yield useless figures.

Yes, I remember the discussion on here a while back regarding legs.co.uk

I don't think anyone is saying that drinks is an awful name but the idea that Cadbury Schweppes are coming to buy it for six or seven figures is in my opinion misguided. I bought sportswear.co.uk for five-figures with that mentality and sold it last year for low four-figures when I realised I'd made the wrong call and it was unlikely to happen.

Dance is a great name and will carry industry prestige but I don't believe that marketing it would cost you any less than if you developed BoogieWoogie.co.uk which IMHO evokes much more emotion.

I've dealt with Mrs Jello in the past. Igal died a year or two back and I presume his family have taken over his portfolio or appointed someone else to manage it for them. They've always been hard to deal with, I bought Pontypool.co.uk off Igal for £100 at 00.30 on the morning that it was due to drop but when I tried to buy Llanelli.co.uk he wanted £0,000's which makes very little sense.

MarkB on the forum bought Recipes.co.uk from them so perhaps drop him a PM and ask who he dealt with and if he can offer any tips.

Didn't underwear co uk sell on here for over 10k last week
I would rate sportswear as potentially better.

I think when you are talking large figures to end users it's not a case of flipping, although nice if it happens, you have to be in it for the long term.

Didn't underwear co uk sell on here for over 10k last week
I would rate sportswear as potentially better.

I'd rather have underwear than sportswear.

I think anyone doing the latter would be a massive brand and would want to be a JJB Sports, Sports Division or whatever.

Someone doing the former could have turned that into a legitimate business, run from their own home, quite easily.

I can't see any end user wanting sportswear.co.uk, and I can't see an affiliate making a success of it. So like many other similar domains, it'll get a 5 figure valuation on Acorn, but not a single person valuing it would be willing to put their money where their mouth is.

The cost of buying/leasing domains hasn't noticeably decreased since the FSN acquisition date. So arguably they could still be on the balance sheet at the acquisition value.

The revenue was wiped out. They're not worth anywhere near what they paid for them. MSM themselves admit the buy was a waste of cash.

How can it possibly be any clearer? These domains are worth very little. They might actually be worthless if any of them got penalised as part of that revenue wipe out.

I'd rather have underwear than sportswear.

I think anyone doing the latter would be a massive brand and would want to be a JJB Sports, Sports Division or whatever.

Someone doing the former could have turned that into a legitimate business, run from their own home, quite easily.

I can't see any end user wanting sportswear.co.uk, and I can't see an affiliate making a success of it. So like many other similar domains, it'll get a 5 figure valuation on Acorn, but not a single person valuing it would be willing to put their money where their mouth is.

I fully expect you would have been saying the same thing about underwear prior to it's sale.
Your obsession with rubbishing premium domain values is curious.

I fully expect you would have been saying the same thing about underwear prior to it's sale.
Your obsession with rubbishing premium domain values is curious.

Wrong. I had an employee bidding on underwear, we didn't win it.

I'm rubbishing EMD's values because this place needs a sole voice of reason, to balance out people like Edwin ripping off customers for more than a grand a time for domains that are completely fucking worthless in 2014.

to balance out people like Edwin ripping off customers for more than a grand a time for domains that are completely fucking worthless in 2014.

Edwin isn't ripping anyone off

He isn't forcing anyone to buy anything

He sets a price, if people want to pay it that is their business whether you or I or anyone else may think it's misguided or not.

He sets a price, if people want to pay it that is their business whether you or I or anyone else may think it's misguided or not.

I get that people can price their domains however they like. But let's be honest, if you walked into the pub and they're asking for £30 for a pint - you'd be pissed off. You wouldn't just say, well, they can charge what they like, let's leave them to it. You'd be outraged.

If you're selling something where you know there is zero chance of the buyer coming out of the deal ahead, then you're ripping them off. You can try and put any spin on it you like, but it is what it is.

Your comment is well out of order Monkey!!!!

If someone wants a domain and they're willing to pay the asking price, what's the problem? If they aren't willing to, it doesn't sell!

Not every business out there is obsessed with f*cking EMD facts and figures, they just want a domain that says what they do!

Grant

I get that people can price their domains however they like. But let's be honest, if you walked into the pub and they're asking for £30 for a pint - you'd be pissed off. You wouldn't just say, well, they can charge what they like, let's leave them to it. You'd be outraged.

Its not a brilliant comparison though. If me or you walk into a pub and are offered a £30 beer, you at least know you're having your pants pulled down. You can choose whether or not to pay it from a position of at least knowing what you're doing.

A better £30 beer comparison to selling £1000 worthless emd's would be trying to sell them in Heathrow arrivals lounge to chinese tourists who don't understand the exchange rate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom