Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Domain TAG advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope someone can advise, I've sold a domain at a buy it now price on Sedo, they paid and I was asked to send the transfer to them, which I did, but they decided to leave the domain on my TAG during the transfer.

I notified Sedo that the domain is now in the buyers registrant name, but still on my TAG, I asked them to ask the buyer if he wants me to do a TAG change which will cost £12, Sedo just replied:

please remove the TAG (MYTAGNAMEHERE) so we can complete the transfer and arrange payment. The buyer can indicate the TAG of his registrar himself without any assistance from you or Sedo.

Not quite sure what that means as I've not come across having to remove a TAG before and have no idea how to do it, is it even possible from within my nominet control panle, can't see anything other that the usual TAG change for £12 :confused:

Last edited:
Go into the manage domains section of Nominet's Web Domain Manager, select the tick box next to the domain and click the 'release' button. You will then be given the option to either enter a new tag or detag it completely.

There is no cost for either option. :)

Go into the manage domains section of Nominet's Web Domain Manager, select the tick box next to the domain and click the 'release' button. You will then be given the option to either enter a new tag or detag it completely.

There is no cost for either option. :)

Yep I agree and think this is the best option.

@ Keano, thanks, had a look at that but it's all automaton/epp stuff which I don't have access to do things like that

@ WB, thanks, that did the trick, although being a bit flustered, I detagged one of my other domains by mistake first :(, then went and did the domain I was supposed to do, thanks for the help.

One other question, the domain I accidentally detagged, how do I get that back on my tag, still listed as the registrant but it's no longer listed in my Nominet account? :confused:

Last edited:
One other question, the domain I accidentally detagged, how do I get that back on my tag, still listed as the registrant but it's no longer listed in my Nominet account? :confused:

You're in trouble! As far as I am aware you have to now pay £12 to get Nominet to change the TAG for you.

Should be no need to detag the name if it is going through the registrant transfer process as they can specify a tag as pert of the transfer.

As for the wrongly detagged domain, contact Nominet support and explain your mistake and ask them to resolve it for you.

Give Nom a call, explain you as a rookie :) made a mistake and they might retag your dom without charging (if you catch 'em on a good day)

EDIT: Alex wins, faster on the keyboard than me lol

You're in trouble! As far as I am aware you have to now pay £12 to get Nominet to change the TAG for you.

Yep, or try ringing Nominets registrar line and explain it was done in error, they may just put it back on your TAG for free.

Got to say, absolutely crap advice from Sedo - detagging the domain just leaves it stuck in limbo, if the buyer doesn't really know what they're doing they'll see it as a right pain in the ass to sort out.

Also, the TAG change would have been free if it was on your TAG???

Grant

Found the domain listed as detagged at the bottom of the section called domain list, as pointed out by Pearl Media above, I then did a transfer from there to myself, another £12 wasted, bloody nuisance lol

Got to say, absolutely crap advice from Sedo - detagging the domain just leaves it stuck in limbo, if the buyer doesn't really know what they're doing they'll see it as a right pain in the ass to sort out.

That's what I said to Sedo, if he couldn't put it on a TAG of his choosing during the original transfer, instead choosing my TAG for it, that's why I suggested I do a TAG change for him, as he has his surname.co.uk on a TAG and I asked if he wanted it changing to the same TAG

Also, the TAG change would have been free if it was on your TAG???

I wasn't aware I could change a TAG for free until today, having not used that function before, handy to know that I know for future reference.

Last edited:
If it didn't stop funds being released you could have charged them a small fee (£12 or less) to change it.

Just an update, Sedo were happy enough with the tag being removed, they said a payment credit note is being done and payment in 1-2 days, and they'll explain to the buyer how to set his new tag, done and dusted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom