Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Editing old pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it good to edit old pages via SEO point of view?
I had some 2 year old pages with PageRank=3, but
after I edited them, Google decreased their positions in search results.

I thought this might increase their performance, not decrease

Interesting question. I'd quite like some view of this too. I do know that changing a page title, description or content significantly can have implications in terms of search enginine ranking. It might be settle back to its previous position though. I guess keyword density changes could have an impact too, though this appears to be less of a factor than it once was.

If you have even 10 years older page but if you change the keyword dentistry or changes in title and contents then this may harm your PR. Try to increase the content and do not less the words that are keywords.

Last edited:
Content freshness is good.

It may be temporary, or you may have accidentally diluted the effect of some keywords or removed some content integral to the page without realising.

Content freshness is good.

It may be temporary, or you may have accidentally diluted the effect of some keywords or removed some content integral to the page without realising.

Thanks, will hope for the best!

Hi Niceman

From past experience this may be only a temporary decrease is position.

Before i did a website revamp on a site i used to own (kiddiekids-co-uk) it was always sitting on page 2 of google for the search term "baby names". When i updated the page with new content and design i noticed the page fell to the middle of page 3 for the same search term. After 2 or 3 weeks it had moved back upto the top of page 2 with the odd position on the bottom of page 1.

It now shows around the middle of page one for that search term.

My advice would be to give it a little bit of time to stabalize in the search engine positions for the new content.

Lee

Hi Niceman

From past experience this may be only a temporary decrease is position.

Before i did a website revamp on a site i used to own (kiddiekids-co-uk) it was always sitting on page 2 of google for the search term "baby names". When i updated the page with new content and design i noticed the page fell to the middle of page 3 for the same search term. After 2 or 3 weeks it had moved back upto the top of page 2 with the odd position on the bottom of page 1.

It now shows around the middle of page one for that search term.

My advice would be to give it a little bit of time to stabalize in the search engine positions for the new content.

Lee

Appreciate for this detailed example, I have already found some my page to have better rankings than before.

If you have even 10 years older page but if you change the keyword dentistry or changes in title and contents then this may harm your PR. Try to increase the content and do not less the words that are keywords.

I totally agree with khuram. Chances are you have edited the "word" or "phrase" that drives traffic to your site. And also once you have edited and added contents, there's a good chance that your keyword density will go up or go down. The recommended keyword density is 3-5%.

Just to clarify, PR has nothing to do with where you rank in the SERP for a particular keyword.

Anyway, now that's out the way... if you've seen a significant ranking drop the most likely thing that has happened is you have altered the keyword density in a way which Google didn't think was appropriate. This may either mean you went to far (over-optimised) or took away some of the relevant words which was holding it in the positions.

Updating the title tag can have a similar dramatic effect if it's been over-optimised.

yes, right quoted, if you are modifying the indexed pages in search engines then the keyword density must be 3-5% or more but no chances for less.

I totally agree with khuram. Chances are you have edited the "word" or "phrase" that drives traffic to your site. And also once you have edited and added contents, there's a good chance that your keyword density will go up or go down. The recommended keyword density is 3-5%.

Last edited:
i have the same experience with you
changing my content and it change the website ranking too
so it will be safe if you dont change the old page
just add another new page

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom