Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Estate Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Completely off topic, but it does say "discuss anything here" in this section of the forum...

I'm just wondering whether any of you have ever bribed an estate agent and if so how/why you did it and whether you acheived the outcome you wanted?

We're currently having a bit of trouble with one and a mate of mine advised that a well apportioned brown envelope should do the trick. But he'd never done that himself.

Anyone got any wisdom to share in this area??

I have trouble finding what purpose an estate agent serves. I always end up dealing directly with the vendor.

Why bribe the estate agent when you can just cut out the middle man :p

When your mate said "slip the agent one" did he mean money ;)

aquanuke said:
I have trouble finding what purpose an estate agent serves. I always end up dealing directly with the vendor.

Why bribe the estate agent when you can just cut out the middle man :p

Couldn't agree more. Problem is that the property we're after is being sold vacant on behalf of a solicitor (which in turn is on behalf of some executors of a will). All viewings are done by the agent.

We've not yet been able to track down the executor/s, despite some cunning questioning of the neighbours.

If you are having a problem, someone might already have beaten you to it by giving the agent a brown envelope bung.

I have, although not directly with cash.

I wanted to buy a bigger house in my street. 15 people viewed it and 8 made offers at the asking price.

I too offered the asking price and happened to mention that I would let him sell mine only if he would secure me the one I wanted. I played hardball and ended up paying 2k under the asking price and bumping mine up by 5k as everyone that had bid on it, then bid on mine.

:mrgreen: :cool:

They are all as bent as they come, wave the folding and they are yours.

Thanks firestars - that's just the kind of info I was looking for (although I don't necessarily condone this disgraceful behaviour - you should be ashamed of yourself... :cool: ).

Mibut you may well be right, I suppose it's then down to who gives the biggest brown envelope - but does the agent then give the smallest envelope back?? Does the National Association of Estate Agents have guidelines on accepting bungs? (That is a rhetorical question - they do have very strict guidelines, which of course say that it shouldn't happen).

Food for thought.

I'm a letting agent, which of course is completely different from an estate agent! Honestly though they are not all dodgy!

but does the agent then give the smallest envelope back
Probably not accept a bung from you as a dodgy agent will do regular deals with developers/builders etc whereas you are just a one off and probably will not trust you to keep your mouth shut.
Are you actually dealing with the organ grinder at the estate agents or one of the salesfolk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts