Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Food Domains

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by Dunk111, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunk111 United Kingdom

Dunk111 Active Member

Can i have your thoughts on these please, bought them when i was feeling hungry, seriously the missus told me to cook tea tonight so i was looking up things to do, i cant be the only one.

roastpotatoes.org.uk 12,100
    oniongravy.co.uk 5,400
    yorkshirepuddings.org.uk 3,600
    lasagnarecipe.org.uk 22,200

Exacts in Bold

2. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

you can get good visitor numbers if you provide recipe related content. however I had a longstanding pastry site that was no. 1 for years then it got fooked by the likes of Delia, the BBC and other 'authority' sites. Goog this year kicked it into the back of beyond, fortunately it still gets good numbers from bing :D

imo don't spend too much time on the 1st two, lasagne may be worth some effort :eek:

3. WealdDomains United Kingdom

WealdDomains Active Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

They are fine for putting up sites with recipe guides and then trying to monetise "in passing", but they aren't highly commercial names IMO. I think it would be difficult to sell the domains.

What do you think of them?

Rgds

5. johnnyboy Moldova, Republic of

johnnyboy Active Member

I'm quite surprised about the responses in this thread. Personally, I don't think they are worth anything, apart from maybe oniongravy.co.uk which could be sold as a brandable to some entity, but that's an if/when situation.

Unless you're passionate about food (which I'm guessing you're not), it's probably not worth the time and effort developing any of the names and I reckon they will be difficult to shift.

6. Mrs Biscuit

Mrs Biscuit Member

I'm really interested in the food niche and I also think you'd have a hard time selling any of these. A lot of food bloggers aren't internet savvy at all. Many even use the freebies (WP, Blogger) rather than going as far as to get their own domains.

The bigger boys, the companies, the brands, the celeb chefs, tend to have a pro team of web dev staff doing all that kind of stuff for them. Most likely they'll go for a dot com or maybe a co.uk. I really can't see any of them being interested in an org.uk.

OnionGravy sounds good but what would you expect anyone to do with it?

Of course, I'm not a domaining expert so it'll be interesting to see if/why people disagree with me. I wouldn't pay the reg fee for any of these domains.

Even if you were to develop them, it would be quite hard to make money. People seeking recipes or info are not usually buyers. AdSense is a possibility if you can attract the right ads and make your site boring enough for people to want to click away. But you'd need to work hard to get the traffic to make the clicks.

Buying foodie domains is like going shopping when you're hungry. You'll buy anything you like the look of without thinking it through.

Good luck with them anyway. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.