Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Free Amazon Echo Dot

Reaction score
Has anyone seen and entered any of these promotions ?

The current one is a free Amazon Echo Dot but seems there have been loads and they account for Amazon's massively growing Echo Skills.

https://developer.amazon.com/en-gb/alexa-skills-kit/alexa-developer-skill-promotion

I bought an Echo and Dot on prime day, set them up on Saturday, wrote my first Skill Sunday and submitted it, all on a Language I have never coded in before. Not sure if its been accepted yet, but seemed easy enough.

Interesting. I still haven't thought of any reasons I'd find it useful enough to overcome the issue of having a computer listening to me in my own house, but maybe one day...

My plan was to make localised services, you can run anything you want on your own account without Amazon Certs.

There is some interesting points about using one in your car.

Those with Kids may find it useful, from anywhere in the world you can turn your kids lights off, disable their games system etc heh.

Forgot to turn the cooker off ? Alexa app.

Lots of usages, but given I like coding its this of a Pi or Arduino and this was easier and doesn't require my ape hands to solder heh.

I got my free echo dot, a white one to go on the white fireplace under the TV and sound bar.

It took me about 1 day, using a language I'm not totally comfortable with (Javascript, I'm comfortable with basic website stuff but not really full apps) using a framework I've never used (Node.JS). I literally got the Echo Friday, app was researched and developed in 3 days.

There is another competition for an Echo Dot and Developer Goodies including limited edition Socks which are sending people crazy, I'm just about to finish my domainer based app and submit it.

I spend most of my time arguing with Alexa, or shouting at her when she starts talking randomly in the middle of the night! More devices around my home might send me completely potty!

Two of my TV's in the house do software updates in the night, they don't turn the screen on but do power up the USB and back end, so the fire tv sticks activate and Alexa used to wake up at like 3am and say "Now connected to your bedroom fire tv stick", every night.

You may want to record yourself, you maybe calling out for alexa in the night ;)

Haha, I've got 4 dots "dotted" around my house. They're brilliant but I constantly swear at her when I try and adjust the lights and forget to tell her which room I'm referring to!

How is the locational awareness ?

She (Alexa) is supposed to be able to tell where you are, so in theory "Turn the lights on" should work in the room your in with the dot ? least thats the impression I got from some of the pricey lights. I only have 1 light and not a hue or one of the better ones so its basic.

I'm not sure on locational awareness!
In our lounge for instance we have 3 Hue Iris Lamps.

These all work
Alexa....turn on the lounge lights
Alexa....set the lounge lights to 20%
Alexa....set the lounge lights to blue
Alexa....turn off the bookcase light (that will leave 2 of the 3 on).

It would be handy to create some mappings so that the lounge dot by default assumes I want to control all of the lounge lights. Then having the option to over-ride and be specific.

One of my main gripes is around the multi dot environment, the nearest dot should activate but sometimes the kitchen one responds instead!

I haven't really experimented that much yet. Most of the house lights are clusters, and thus far I have been unable to find alexa enable light switches. I've seen pi examples and micro circuit mods to convert a switch to alexa but not sure I would trust the electronics.

I had that while setting them up, I debated giving them different names instead of Alexa but defeats the object.

I am going to try this http://uk.businessinsider.com/using-amazon-echo-dot-in-a-car-2017-7?r=US&IR=T this though.

I'm just working on the placement of them to minimise the confusion!

What kind of bulbs do you have, you can get a few Philips Hue fit bulbs and leave the switches as is.

Some proper UK spec light and plug sockets will really help propel the smart technology forward.

I too am thinking of adding Alexa in to the family car and also our touring caravan :D

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom