Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

gestics.com - appraisal help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've been picking up a lot of domains associated with gesture technology. Gesture technology is tech which uses hand or body movement to control a piece of electronic equipment, the most well known example to date being the Wii control system. In the imminent future there is a lot more gesture tech coming and it'll be more hand based.

The leading company in this field are gestureTek who are working with Microsoft on the next-gen Xbox. Gesture control is also getting pretty close to being introduced for military, medical and industrial uses.

Gesturing is also the word being used by leading manufacturers to describe the method of opreating multi-touch screens.

I wouldn't mind another opinion on the types of domain I am picking up.

I have one-worders including:

gesturing.co.uk
gestural.co.uk
gestic.co.uk (gestic describes hand or body movement, this is a dictionary word)
gestics.com (gestics is the science of hand and body movements quoted as such in all the R&D papers)

I also have:

gesturalcontrollers.com
gesturecontrollers.com
gesturecontrols.com
gesturesystems.co.uk
gesturerecognition.co.uk
gesturebased.com
gesturebased.co.uk

What do you reckon? Do you think these have sell on value to companies in the sector or to individuals?

Last edited:
This is a promising technology - and I was surprised that you were thinking of selling gesturing.co.uk...if the technology takes off and the name stays this generic (with the word gesture), that could be a true winner. Don't sell it now. "gesture-based" and "gesture recognition" are good as well. That said, there are probably some fancy words for what a computer mouse does, but its the person with the term "mouse.co.uk" that would be rich, not the one with "fancywordsforwhatmicedo.co.uk". Maybe as opposed to a "mouse, the new product will be called "bird" because you use it in the air :-D

I'm not sure about some of the other two-worders...pretty weak google results overall; really weak for googleUK. E.g. "gesture controllers" = 122 results total.

Can't value now - these kinds of domains are speculative.

Also, PM sent.

Last edited:
Its a shot in the dark so to speak. Its hard to get emerging technology right, and then it if does come good can take a long long time. I have some of the early emerging tech domains. In fact even have http://www.emergingtechnology.co.uk. However it can years for companies or people to show interest. Expect to wait perhaps 10 years before any interest.

thanks for the input Jacal, it's good to read a reasoned opinion.

the 'controller' domains weren't backed up by anything I've read, just a hope that that becomes the terminology used. I like gestics.com although I know it's worthless right now.

the tech is here already Disruptive. In the last few days Apple filed a patent for a gesture dictionary and if you search under "gesture+touch+screen" you'll see that the term is in frequent use and not just with Apple. Microsoft also quote the term in relation to Surface. GestureTek's products are more gaming products and I could see the terminology for them changing to 'motion' or some other term but for the moment they too refer to it as gesturing.

It's an area I've been keeping an eye on for a while and it keeps growing at a steady pace. I know its going to be a wait but I expect it to be less than 2 years rather than 10 before it is in regular use. The launch of the multi-touch mac will be the real indicator.

Last edited:
Actually, the biggest gesture technology product is the WII - and that is certainly here! Its a bit of a concern that no one knows that it uses "gesture technology". I would continue to think about nouns, as it is the products that will make for valuable domain names, not the technology...would you rather have "internalcombustion.com" or "cars.com"?

Multi-touch is an enigma...I have a bunch of good generic multi-touch names and they get no traffic...the analogy being that "touch-screen" technology is a few years old, but that's not what people would navigate to to buy an iphone which uses the technology...

With future tech its all luck, and it can get expensive, but you're certainly onto a promising one and you have a few one-worders that could be used by companies...

Picked up chording.co.uk and .net today which i'm reasonably happy about :D

nice portfolio there binny :)

Can't believe gestics.com was available, great name, worth a little, but good one to hold on

~MG

gesturepads.com and gesturesoftware.com :D

Looks like the new Mac will be announced in October with a large rectangular 'gesture pad' in front of a keyboard. Apple's patent application for a gesture dictionary includes 300 different gesture controls including multiple finger movements called chording. Apple are firmly using the words gesture and chord.

I'm hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom