Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Gold

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by golddiggerguy, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

Just something that has interested me recently GOLD
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have been looking at gold (and I mean Solid Gold not scrap gold) and the pricing over the years compared to investing money into shares, stocks and savings banks.

Looking at the charts on the site below, it has been bobbing around £550 to £450 per ounce this month.
    Gold prices click instruments to see GBP

A site I've used here for direction and thought i'd ask the question...

Does anyone own any real solid gold, if so how much, at what cost and where from?

I aren't in any situation to start buying any gold (just yet) and have set a future goal/target to start buying an ounce each year/month!

Has to be better than a pension or other investments and is a good time to buy!

2. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Legend has it that Mofo's got a solid gold toilet - I've never seen it but I believe it to be true.

3. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

You should see his loo roll :shock:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  4. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Quite correct Aquanuke. Also, if you go back to 2006, someone has posted this - it therefore must be true.

5. ELIFE-MZ

ELIFE-MZ Active Member

No need for lights - the place is bright enough when the sun shines out of my ****.

6. rob

rob Founding Member

"Owen's book of jokes" is on my xmas list :)

[​IMG]

Mo is sitting at the wierd angle as he has a 60" LCD TV in there as well, playing non-stop Trisha / Jeremy Kyle.

Says it keeps him in touch with the common peasants such as meself guv

7. ELIFE-MZ

ELIFE-MZ Active Member

Since when have you started taking pictures of blokes in toilets and does her indoors know about this hobby of yours? :-?

8. rob

rob Founding Member

I emailed your PA asking for a picture, who it seems contacted the butler who then asked security to pull something from the CCTV ;)

9. ELIFE-MZ

ELIFE-MZ Active Member

I wish it was all true - anyway, lets get this thread back on track.

10. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

G*tty and iStock are generally OK with you using their images on forums as long as you put a link tag to the item on their site around the images to drive traffic if other people want to buy.

Least thats how it was about 4-5 yrs ago when I used them alot in night clubs.

11. retired_member9

retired_member9 Retired Member

Mr Butler, the old drop catcher who can't afford to park his domains? ;)

12. DomainAngel

DomainAngel Well-Known Member

Gold is Gold, be it scrap or pure.

You dont actually get it in chunks when you purchase it, you buy it as a commodity, like a share price.

If you really do want to start buying gold, and would like it to be liquid, then keep away from commodities, as you get charged every time you transact.

Whereas scrap gold, you can just weigh it in anytime you like.

So get ya self down to the car boot sales and buy old broken rings and chains.

There was once a guy who thougt he had found a loophole, he spent thousands on scrap gold, weighed it every night and counted his fortune as its amassed. Why on earth he did not cash some in to test god knows, but he never, and he just continued to buy.

Several thousand down, he had it pointed out that most was 9ct and he was using the full weight, so where he was buying it half price of people in pubs, he was actually paying too much haha.

Best of luck.

13. Skinner

On Subject of buying in pubs and clubs, I had a 8oz 9kt gold curb necklace, which I bought off a 'gangster' in a nightclub I worked in for £1000 (all the cash machines would let me have out of my cards was 900 and I had 100 on me). He was in celebrating before he did a stretch inside, he said he paid £5k for it. He sold so much gold off it was crazy, A year later he was back propping the bar plastered in gold again, I ended up selling it for 2100 as i looked a fool wearing it.

On the subject of buying gold at car boots isnt there different standards of gold ? like old gold shouldnt be mixed as its different colour or something ? I remember something come out of the that burk with the tash on the antiques show on tv.

14. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

DomainAngel - Gold rings, chains (scrap gold) aren't solid gold and if you melt it down they seperate into different alloys.

A small percentage is actual gold! So buying GOLD and buying scrap gold is very different indeed.

You CAN buy gold that you can hold and hug. Usually in the form of coins or mini bars, but yes usually it's not a physical item in trading terms.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

15. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

american eagle gold bullion coins are a nice way to collect gold.
    i had a 80z double eagle gold bullion once, but unfortunatley needed the cash at the time so it had to go.
    im always on the look out for cheap ones;)

16. Skinner

krugerrand's are a good one too.

I have seen mini bars some that look like the size of a pack of chewing gum, others the size of a whispa bar, also seen ingots too.

Its surprising how heavy gold is.

17. DomainAngel

DomainAngel Well-Known Member

Errr yes I did indeed know that, i thought you may have actually read my post, which would have shown you that my explanation about ct etc via my oh so made up story, showed some understanding.

Good to see someone benefited from a gangstas stretch haha

18. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Getty images !!!

I hope no one is risking an illegal use of a Getty or I stock image, both owned by Getty and they can and have charged upto 1.5 grand for 1 image, they have a team dedicated to this who trawl the net searching for their images, they do have an amnesty for individuals where they will waiver the charges, but as far as they're concerned any web developer/domainer should know better ?
    Sorry to those of you who know this, just trying to be usefull !!!

19. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Buying gold at carboots

Don't buy if it only as the purity mark eg; 375, make sure it as a hallmark, Castle = Edinburgh / Leopard = London / Rose = Sheffield / Anchor = Birmingham.
    I buy and sell gold and have recently knocked 30 % off the price i am willing to pay, if you want to make a fortune find a refiners who will take it off you for more than any pawnbroker, Google the bullion room it's in Birmingham and pay top prices, if you can buy platinum your laughing, last time it's scrap value was around 27 pounds per gram.
    TIP** when on carboots and want to know if 9ct e.t.c take the number eg; 375 drop the end number 5 you have 37 now the nearest number that divides into 4 is 36 divide it by 4 = 9 and hey it's 9ct works with other purities such as 850 would be 85 nearest into 4 is 84 divided by 4 = 21ct, sounds complicated i know lol but try it, saves you getting a piece of paper out all the time.
    Oh yes and there should be no such a thing as old gold as most gold as been around for 4000 years even if you bought a brand ring last week, people have been using it to trade for around 4000 years therefore no one as ever needed to throw their gold away, it simply gets recycled. GOOD LUCK Golddigger

20. Skinner

Doodle I was talking about using getty/istock images as a point for a joke in a forum not using it for design use :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.