Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Hand regging is not dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed many domainers saying things like "hand regging is dead", "why do you think that domain is still available in 2014?", etc. I disagree with these statements.

First of all a bit of background.

I've been an active member at Acorn for a couple of years now but have been active in domaining since 2007. Strangely enough I started out in .com and it took me a number of years before moving over to investing in and focusing on .co.uk. It's taken me a long time (until recently) to realise that domains that may have x,xxx value in .com have no where near the same value in .co.uk.

When I started out in domaining I was a student and couldn't afford to invest in the after market (especially in .com's) and so hand regging and flipping was the way to go and until now actually 90%+ of all my domain sales have been from hand regges. I remember back in 2007 the first domain I registered for just a few dollars I sold a few months later for $xxx.

Recent sales

Fast forward to today and I am still hand regging and flipping domains. This month and December have been slow (only low £xxx in hand reg sales for both months), but in November and October I sold close to mid £xxx each month. I'm sure to some of you here these don't sound like amazing numbers but it's all about ROI. Of course I don't sell every domain I hand reg, I'd say on average the past few months it's been about 1 in every 5 domains hand regged I have sold but that 1 sale is still profit!

Here's some proper figures for you for the month of November 2013:

£45 spent on new hand regges.
£500 in sales with most of that from the above hand regges.

Types of domains I hand reg nowadays

What I find works best for me is targeting keyword or brandable domains in very small niches that have at least some CPC (say at least £2). More often that not the amount of exact matches don't matter (of course I do stray from this but this works best for getting sales). I usually sell these type of domains in the high £xx-low £xxx range. When contacting possible end users for these domains I tend to state the obvious that these are the exact keywords they are paying say £2 a click for and I'm offering it to them for a fixed price of £80 (say the cost of 40 clicks). As daft as it sounds this has actually worked for me, after all the proof is in the pudding!

One last thing...

I'd like to stress that you should try to be as selective as possible when hand regging my domains. I try to limit myself to spending no more than £50 a month or so on average on hand regges. Please do not get carried away! Domaining should not be treated as a form of gambling. If I spend roughly £600 a year on hand regges and make £x,xxx in sales for that year then it's all profit and happy times. :D

Also don't expect to make a full time living out of hand regging domains either, like I said it's pocket money for me to save up and to reinvest in other ventures. :)

Good luck to all of you in your hand regging ventures! :D

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
A great post Dave, reminds me of the types of conversations Acorn used to have years ago.

Good to hear that it's working out for you Dave.

Would you spend a lot of time researching for FTR domains and contacting end users though? I'd imagine it does take a good bit of time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

A great post Dave, reminds me of the types of conversations Acorn used to have years ago.

Thank you Anthony. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I've actually had end users thank me for bringing the domain to their attention. In my opinion part of the value in small end user sales like this is the appreciation that a domainer (myself of course) has taken the time to research and secure these domains and offer them at a very respectable and reasonable price to small businesses or developers. Some of the sales have also been to other domainers who may potentially have bigger plans for it than myself.

Thanks again,
Dave

Good to hear that it's working out for you Dave.

Would you spend a lot of time researching for FTR domains and contacting end users though? I'd imagine it does take a good bit of time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Jamie,

Yes it does take some time but I've got scripts and tools to help me filter lists of keywords and analyse the potential of a domain (history, cpc, search metrics etc). On average over a month I spend perhaps an hour or so a day doing this but it's very much just like having a nice comfortable part time job essentially when you consider that's around 30 hours or so a month for £xxx return. I know to some these aren't great numbers and it won't be for everyone, after all I'm 26 years old, single and have no children and perhaps most here won't have that spare time. All I wanted to state is that hand regging for a profit is still possible even nowadays.

Thanks,
Dave

One last thing...

I'd like to stress that you should try to be as selective as possible when hand regging my domains. I try to limit myself to spending no more than £50 a month or so on average on hand regges. Please do not get carried away! Domaining should not be treated as a form of gambling. If I spend roughly £600 a year on hand regges and make £x,xxx in sales for that year then it's all profit and happy times. :D

Also don't expect to make a full time living out of hand regging domains either, like I said it's pocket money for me to save up and to reinvest in other ventures. :)

Last edited:
Good post and is so true.

The fact is that if you sell a domain name for just £20 you have over doubled your money. What is £20 to someone in the niche? For a better domain name £50, £100, more...

People who are in that niche will happily have the names simply for their arsenal, even if they dont plan on using them right now. Its a small cost to simply have it incase you need it + stop anyone else from using it.

Here's some proper figures for you for the month of November 2013:

£45 spent on new hand regges.
£500 in sales with most of that from the above hand reggaes.

[snip]

Unfortunately what you didn't include was how much time you spent researching and making the "hand registrations". You state that you spent almost £50 and turned it into £500 back in November. How much time did earning the £450 "cost" you compared to doing something else that might have earned you more? Clearly if it took you just 20 minutes on and only on the first day of November, which I doubt it did, then £450 was a decent return. If, however, it was many hours spread although the month then that is a different story and it may not actually have been worth your time, unless you really had nothing else to do. I hope you can appreciate why I feel you shouldn't be as simplistic as you have been in how you have turned a 10x profit. :) Time is an important variable to factor in because when you spend time [doing something] it costs you because you often cannot be doing something else.

Oh I see you have already answered this now, at least in part. :)

Last edited:
Probably about the same time as you spend arguing and nitpicking with people on this forum :)

Nice post and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Admin

Probably about the same time as you spend arguing and nitpicking with people on this forum :)

I consider the time I spend doing that priceless! ;)

People who are in that niche will happily have the names simply for their arsenal, even if they dont plan on using them right now. Its a small cost to simply have it incase you need it + stop anyone else from using it.

Another great point to bring to attention mat! :)

Anyone prepared to answer how much he made per hour, based on 1-2 hours per day. Shouldn't be difficult... :)

I enjoy domaining as a hobby, and like any hobby you don't go into it with the intention of turning a profit, it's just a bonus (and hard work) I have made a profit. I think that should be a suitable enough answer Invincible :D.

The scales (like Libra star sign) under No Classified Rating under Dave's name :)

Anyone prepared to answer how much he made per hour, based on 1-2 hours per day. Shouldn't be difficult... :)

Not easy to do unless you are assuming no further sales will result from work already done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom