Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Has Google reduced the benefit of an exact match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A few domainers here have said that Google appears to have reduced the emphasis it gives to an exact match between keywords and domain names.

Does anyone have any anecdotal or empirical evidence either way?

Thanks, Luke

Yes it is 100% true

It particularly applies to one or 2 word generic domains, in the service or product genres, on .co.uk extension and primarily registered before 1999. It can apply to similar types of names which have also been drop caught at a later date, but tick all the other boxes.

Coincidently my daughter has started collecting these types of names for a school project, so if anyone wants to offload these "junk" names to a good cause, then please get in touch.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha ha.. Nice one.

I don't think that G has downgraded exact match, but in their never ending battle to "improve the index" they do constantly tweak things to try to remove sites that they don't feel are good enough quality.

This would include exact match domains that are built out as content scrapers (ie Whypark & Epik sites), thin affiliate sites (SB etc), dupe content sites (SB and Whypark etc) and the like. My guess is that the majority of the sites that people are seeing fall away would fall into these categories. The only other thing is that new sites will tend to rank well then drop away before coming back when they have a bit more age / better links.

Its good.... now people will hopefully no longer simply think they can stick up shite sites on an exact domain and expect to be page 1 just off the name... not on anything remotely competitive and worth lot...

You will need to actually put your back into it and do "some" work ;)

Google Caffiene is what's caused this, I have some basic SB sites at number 2 but maybe Google needs to crawl it before dropping it but at the same time I have a SB site with a few articles and fresh content and it's nowhere ?

This is good though because it's made me get my first quality generic and soon it will be a decent site but how I keep updating a site about ice cream makers I don't know ?

BTW Ty the domain I said I couldn't disclose is www.icecreammaker.co.uk

The seller said it's fine to disclose so there you go, 50k UK exacts per month and not just in summer either :)

I am only 199 short of your collection now ;)

I've recently added a few exact match keyword names to the index and they are taking longer to appear and rank well.

Just means more needs to be spent on seo!

Recipes.........!

I ordered a book of Ebay with 301 ice cream maker recipes including Sundaes and Sorbets but if I put them all on at once then I how do I keep updating because if I don't surely Google will drop me ?

With the potential to easily earn £1000 per month then I am going for it with this and once established I will buy something related like doughnutmaker ( cue Edwin ) :lol:

Thanks for the replies :cool:

I ordered a book of Ebay with 301 ice cream maker recipes including Sundaes and Sorbets but if I put them all on at once then I how do I keep updating because if I don't surely Google will drop me ?

Watch out for dupe content, also most content bought like that is basically nicked.

be careful!

Watch out for dupe content, also most content bought like that is basically nicked.

be careful!

Thanks Rob, I am doing all myself at the moment but when I get paid for content I will use Copyscape before paying up.

Here's to the future :cool:

If you put the site on a Blog platform, you can future publish, drip-feeding the article one by one.

Also consider a rotation script. I use one of these on many of sites, rotating quotes, or text at random. Up to know this seems to compliment other SEO strategies in keeping the page fresher for G.

Vic

Last edited:
Thanks Vic :cool:

I'm not great at making sites myself but have web developer who can do it for me :)

Some of you are jokers!

Build the best possible site for a user looking for your product/service....

Dont make them think.

If you value a niche enough to spend £2/3k on a URL then do yourself a favour and do things properly.

Invest in a nice URL
Invest in content
Invest in design
Invest in backlinks

Dont listen to some of these guys...

I gave you the recipe for all the ice cream you can eat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom