Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Having a Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
If I were to get a tag, is it possible to buy the domain with a cheaper company (ie. 123Reg) and then transfer it to your own tag?

//Tim

since when has buying a domain through 123-reg been cheaper than buying it directly off nominet?

You're talking about getting a tag only (rather than a membership) for free?

Yes it is.

You just need to be careful to move it back again when it's due for renewal to make sure the other tagholder gets billed.

ahh yes i see - you mean a tag only and not nominet membership...

yes it is possible, but like bb99 said make sure you transfer it back to renew!

Yeah, I was thinking of transferring it back :p Does anyone know who can act as an authorized signatory?

TimRogers said:
Yeah, I was thinking of transferring it back :p Does anyone know who can act as an authorized signatory?

Can't you sign it yourself?

Don't you need a reference? (Just worked this out now)

On the bank part, where it says name of bank do you put Natwest (TOWN) or just Natwest?

Last edited:
Hmm, I can't see the full form online without filling it out.

I'm sure if you explain to Nominet that you're not a trader and are registering as an individual then they may dispense with the need for a reference.

just curious...

but what is the advantage of buying a name with 123-reg... moving to your tag... then 2 years later moving back to 123-reg to renew (which may or may not be free at the time)?

your not saving money
the domains not going to be easier to admin
and you have to waste lots of time (thus money) moving them about.

or am missing something???

:)

If you register a domain with nominet using your own TAG (but no membership) and then cancel the domain within 30 days, do you have to pay the £90?

If you don't. Then you could catch domains under your TAG (without membershop), hold them for a few weeks and then drop it and immediately re-register the domain with a cheap registrar like 123-REG.

I guess you wouldn't have access to the DAC, but it sounds like a good way to test the waters and get started.

Is this correct?

Also am I right in thinking this _wouldn't_ work if you just transfered the domain to another TAG instead of canceling it. If it did then you could get the first 2 years of any .uk domain for free!

JI

kind of.

I think you can only refund a certain % of all names you buy, so would still not be cost effective.

jii said:
If you don't. Then you could catch domains under your TAG (without membershop), hold them for a few weeks and then drop it and immediately re-register the domain with a cheap registrar like 123-REG.

Cancellation before invoicing is only meant to be used to correct mistakes. If we find people using it in the way you describe above then we will take action.

Jay Daley said:
Cancellation before invoicing is only meant to be used to correct mistakes. If we find people using it in the way you describe above then we will take action.

"If we find...", but are you looking? Have you the time?

"...we will take action". Please define "action". It sounds menacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom