Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Help with standard blurb to convince people of value of a domain

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm snowed under and wondering if anyone is willing to share a standard bit of blurb you give to someone who doesnt think domains are worthy of investment. I'll give you the scenario....

1. I've set my .co.uk's on parking pages at domainmanage.
2. Ive set my minimum offer as £100.
3. I get lots of offers now but they are almost all at £100...understandable.

I've countered an enquiry today with ...this particular premium domain is for sale at £900 and they reply:

Thanks for your fast response, unfortunately I’m not willing to spend such an amount on a domain.

That makes it very clear they don't see the value in good domains. Anyone got a generic para they are willing to share with me that I can send back to them.

Stating the obvious, I think it's about pre-selling before they reach the 'I'm not spending that much on xyz.com' counter.. and becomes 'It's obv. WORTH spending £x,xxx on this domain, I'd have to spend out an unknown quantity on brand awareness/etc to become the go-to leading authority on [whatever niche], whereas owning the category killer domain, would instantly give you the credibility consumers want to see in a business/brand/website...

- Gain instant authority & credibility with mydomain.com and tell them WHY (Could also compare it to other options to make it stand head and shoulders above them as well as being the stronger domain and obvious choice)
- Memory retention / Radio test - i.e impossible to get it wrong or misspell etc.
- Better CTR with a .co.uk (Possible Lower CPC with Adwords)
- Block competitors from developing the domain into a major website.
- The above would take absolutely loads of marketing budget to achieve with a newly registered domain that no one knows, recognises or associates with said niche/domain.

Can elaborate more on the above and prob more that i've missed!

My own experience is that if someone doesn't see much value in a domain from the offset is that that person is going to be very hard to persuade otherwise and I've learnt to move on quickly instead of spending my time trying to persuade them otherwise, it's just not worth it. Maybe I don't try hard enough in these situations so I'll keep my eyes on the thread for good suggestions just in case.

Yeah if someone doesn't see value no point convincing them otherwise. BUT saying that, being able to create more desire from an enquiry, and being able to sell the domain on the value & benefits it offers, the exclusivity and then some scarcity should command a better price.. Being a good salesperson basically.

In this situation I write back saying I'd be willing to bring the price down to x amount but unfortunately I can't go any lower. After that they either bite or they don't.

Shows you're fair but not desperate.

Stating the obvious, I think it's about pre-selling before they reach the 'I'm not spending that much on xyz.com' counter.. and becomes 'It's obv. WORTH spending £x,xxx on this domain, I'd have to spend out an unknown quantity on brand awareness/etc to become the go-to leading authority on [whatever niche], whereas owning the category killer domain, would instantly give you the credibility consumers want to see in a business/brand/website...

- Gain instant authority & credibility with mydomain.com and tell them WHY (Could also compare it to other options to make it stand head and shoulders above them as well as being the stronger domain and obvious choice)
- Memory retention / Radio test - i.e impossible to get it wrong or misspell etc.
- Better CTR with a .co.uk (Possible Lower CPC with Adwords)
- Block competitors from developing the domain into a major website.
- The above would take absolutely loads of marketing budget to achieve with a newly registered domain that no one knows, recognises or associates with said niche/domain.

Can elaborate more on the above and prob more that i've missed!

You've help me, thanks. I added:

- Achieve higher Google rankings for XXXX XXXXXX (keyword domains still very much work in helping your SEO efforts)

I agree. It's almost impossible to "prove" value if people don't get it. Like bashing your head against a brick wall...

But if they're wavering, then it can be good to send them to places like DNJournal's list of the top domain sales of the year (use 2016 - there's nothing much on the 2017 list yet) to make the point that there are plenty of companies out there that do see the value of paying a premium price for a premium name.

Sorry, one more thing: I've even closed a couple of sales (not many, for sure, but this tactic HAS worked more than once) by closing out my email turning down their offer by saying something along the lines of "Best of luck finding a suitable domain to fit your budget. You might consider _______ for example, since it's still available to register." where _______ has been the hyphenated version of the domain they were enquiring about, or the .org.uk.

If nothing else, it does a much better job of shutting down any thought of "he might take my offer, but he's just playing hard to get" than a simple refusal would.

I agree with Lovekraft

As a seller, I don't feel like I can tell someone what a domain is going to be worth to them and their business

All I can do is say the price I will sell for and if they don't feel it's worth it they shouldn't buy it

If they're really interested and just trying to bargain you down, you don't need to reply, they will come back to you again sooner or later

If people have a price you can work with...fine. If you don't know what you'll be willing to accept for your domain then you are probably wasting their time as much as your own.

The last six figure purchase I made went like this... how much do *really* want? x figure...can you do it for 'new x'...a bit later - ok. Too many people want stupid amounts for their domains - if you have to ask on any forum what it's worth then you really shouldn't be buying/registering in the first place. Not saying that's what you did but forever you will be catching tiddlers if you throw a little net into the pond.

Thanks for your fast response, unfortunately I’m not willing to spend such an amount on a domain.
say something like " i have set my price at what i truly believe its worth because i can see the benefits of owning such a domain name. we seem to far apart on price but if you could come much closer to my price i may be able to consider your offer, if not I wish you well in your search.

---------

then just forget it, move on
tim

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom