Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How did you learn web design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Pretty broad question I know as there are tonnes of sources but I'm just wanting to get some advice really.

I am just looking into learning how to develop websites and have been teaching myself a bit through the use of free resources on the interweb.

Any one got any advice, on books, courses or online materials that they used and think would be usefule for a novice?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Drago

Learn web design? I didn't, I just learned how to configure wordpress plugins:)

I just got a webdesign programme and learnt to use it. I used netobjects fusion which was free with a pc magazine but realised its limitations and learned dreamweaver. Have found webmasterworld.com to be an excellent resource for information about SEO etc. I couldn't find THE ONE ideal resource to teach me

I did the CIW course at computeach, but would pay the 5k for that again though, still have all the books if you want to buy them off me.

But you really learn how to do it when you start building sites, thats the only way to learn

If you want to use Wordpress I recommend a book called...

Smashing Wordpress - Beyond the Blog by Thord Daniel Hedengren

I found this an excellent introduction which will help get your head around how Wordpress works conceptually and how to tweak Wordpress sites to do what you want.

After this, everything you need to know is online.

I started using Dreamweaver about 10yrs ago, self taught using tutorials and help of the net

Although it's still possible to string a site together the game has changed due to technology advancements. I can design fine, but then the more up to date advances is leaving me behind somewhat (I'm still designing with tables - which doesn't seem to affect my SERP by the way!)

I'd use WordPress because of this - if I didn't hate it so much!

I just learned to use a sitemaker called create.net and it works for me :)

Cc976a I use tables and can still rank at number 1, I think most SEO stuff seems to be myth as far as I'm concerned.

I use to make sites and do no title, description or keywords and they ranked, Google just makes the title and description for you out of your content.

I never submit sites to Google, can have no inbound links and rank on the 1st page, obviously it depends what you are trying to get ranked for.

Took a short course in Dreamweaver ( 8 ) back in 2006, since then it's self-taught and picking things up along the way online.

Following relevant twitter users helps, as you can keep up with the trends/tips - (currently tinkering with impress.js - love the transitions !)

I still have tables on one of my sites too - still loads fast and I find tables are easier sometimes ! ;)

There's some great advice already in this thread (very handy, thanks!)

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:
Before the likes of Joomla!, WordPress and a handful of other useful CMS that allow easy customisation and alot or cut and paste stuff it was old school Dreamweaver, FrontPage and Notepad. A lot of iframes and pretty graphics done in Paint shop Pro..

Most dn registrars now offer some sort of free site builder, fast out of the box solution but takes the fun out of it all.

http://www.stylizerapp.com/ is my latest find. Not had much time to play with it first impressions are good.

I dont think I'm learnt - but get by - I use fireworks - a simplified photoshop - entry level then can move onto photoshop when needed.

I started making websites since I discovered I had microsoft frontpage on computer and have kind of been making websites since using various bits of software however I mainly use Dreamweaver and learnt most bits through using both designa and code view. I also use fireworks now and again.

Although I have recently switched to using Wordpress as a basis for my websites as good uses.

Before the likes of Joomla!, WordPress and a handful of other useful CMS that allow easy customisation and alot or cut and paste stuff it was old school Dreamweaver, FrontPage and Notepad. A lot of iframes and pretty graphics done in Paint shop Pro..

Loved those days. Just Notepad and Paint Shop Pro, and the world was my oyster :D

I brought a course that was advertised in some paper or something, it cost me £99 and came in a ring binder, it was basically made up of sections plagiarized from books of the time but it was still helpfully. I also came across a free html editor called firstpage2000 which had some usefully features and javascripts which could be added at the click of a button. After that i started using dreamweaver and used paint shop pro for images and even free logo creators like flamingtext. Unfortunately im stuck in my ways and haven't moved on, my knowledge of html/java script/css is good but anything past that im useless with.

There are loads of free resources out there to use and you can even purchase software packages to help so getting basic sites up and running is fairly painless.

Its good to know whats going on with code and you'll probably learn faster than you think. It also depends on what you want to do. For example, if its just to work on your own hobby sites thats fine, but if you're going to be taking money from paying clients - thats another story.

For someone learning I'd give these tips:

1. Run a mockup site on your pc and use it to experiment. This way you can test to see if you understand things and if they work out as you expected them to.

2. You should know whats going on with code regardless of what CMS systems are available, especially for client work. If you don't then building client sites for money can be a dangerous game.

3. Don't be afraid to ask for / take advice from more experienced people if you don't know how to do something. I always had the attitude that if I don't know, I'm going to ask. It saves so much hassle. There are lots of forums for basic coding where you can get help.

4. Stick with it. You can't learn everything overnight, but don't give up, you might surprise yourself with how quickly you learn. It's a nice feeling when you try something to see if it works and it does!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom