Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How important are exacts in domain pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exacts are usually the most important figure - Exacts determine how many visitors one could make with this site if they purchased the domain name. Trends are also very important (Is the market population (searchers) going down over time)?, so together the two form a basic system:

Working out how many visitors you could get from search engine results for the primary keyword

Working out how many visitors you could get from search engine results for the primary keyword in a month's time, 6 months time, a year.

For example, something with high exacts (Like - and I haven't checked the real exacts - "CD shop Devon" might have 3,000 Exacts today, but if last month it had 3,300, and 6 months ago it had 4,800, this shows that the market is rapidly shrinking, thus rendering this domain name much less profitable for long term profit or selling of (no one wants the low-exacts and dead market that this domain name will be with), so this domain name might sell cheap (£200?).

Lot's of domain names related to technology, services, computer & electrical products are more highly priced then your "average domain name" on exacts. That's because something like "Deleteaccount.co.uk" might have roughly 60,000 exacts in it's field now (things like "delete facebook account"), but it shows high promise for this to continually increase. As more people are using services with accounts, more will need to delete these accounts, and more population also causes more accounts, with more need to delete these accounts. So very likely the next month the exacts for it's field will be 62,000 - And then 64,200 - and then 66,500, and so on.

In order to compare to the devon domain name I'm going to pretend that delete account has only 10% of the exacts detailed above, but also dead exact searchs

A domain name increasing by 3-4% per month @ 6,000 Exact Searchs will often be valued very highly (£4,000)

A domain name decreasing by 10-12% per month(and this figure keeps getting bigger - in a year it might be 50%) @ 3,000 Exact Searchs will be valued very lowly (£200).

Figures are estimates, but they are my realistic ones, in other words, yes exacts are important, but more importantly is where they are going. The decreasing devon domain name delivers half the searchs of the other one at the moment, but (@ £200 x 2 = £400) will only fetch 10% of the price. That's how much difference trends can make.

You might argue that the devon domain name is more targeted costumers / easier to get money from, so just adjust search exacts accordingly.

Exacts can be misleading too. For example, the domain name www.deleteaccount.co.uk only has about 600 UK exacts - mostly clueless people who expect some google result to know what account their talking about - but the number of exacts with phrases like "delete facebook account, delete twitter account, delete hotmail account", tally up to around 60,000. There is NO better domain name for those searchs without copyright infringing, so you could say (and I generally consider these exact in cases like these -) that the domain name has 60,000 exacts.

Make sure before purchasing a domain name you check out terms which include the domains keywords plus one other copyright word (that can't be used in the domain name" - like "Dresses.co.uk" & "Dresses dressmakehere". These little golden nuggets can be just a useful & achievable as normal exacts. If you ever sell a domain name like this, then make sure you point that out.

Exacts, however, are usually used as a quick judgment. That's why sales threads often include the domain name + local exacts (for .co.uk) - it gives you a quick look at the current achievable market.

I know you are trying to be helpful (or justify to yourself how much you spent on deleteaccount.co.uk) but there is a lot of duff information there

Appreciate all the info SamSites. Please could you elebarote on that Boxfish. What is the duff info?

This is the thing I dont get though. I just seen the domain EcoGroup.co.uk listed on sedo for £3000 (not sure if thats a sold price, or its sale price) and that only gets 58 exact searches..the PR is only 0..so still very confused why so much importance is placed on exavcts, and I see round here all the time "worth reg, because has low count on exacts" etc, yet 58, is lower than some domains I have...yet my domains are not worth 3k...So confused!

Last edited:
Appreciate all the info SamSites. Please could you elebarote on that Boxfish. What is the duff info?

This is the thing I dont get though. I just seen the domain EcoGroup.co.uk listed on sedo for £3000 (not sure if thats a sold price, or its sale price) and that only gets 58 exact searches..the PR is only 0..so still very confused why so much importance is placed on exavcts, and I see round here all the time "worth reg, because has low count on exacts" etc, yet 58, is lower than some domains I have...yet my domains are not worth 3k...So confused!

A lot of people don't even look at exacts and to say a domain with 6.6k exacts and rising at 12% is usually worth £4k is crazy, especially when it's not even a commercial phrase/area.

You can have domains with 100 exacts worth more than domains with 1 million exacts - it's down to the individual domain.

You can have domains with 100 exacts worth more than domains with 1 million exacts - it's down to the individual domain.

Very true, sometimes a really catchy word that means nothing and therefore would have had 0 exacts (Like Tesco, Ikea, Asos or Google) can become huge because of other factors like the strengths of the company bearing the name.

thats one of the things that puzzles me about LLL domain names that dont spell words, unless you can attach them to an existing strong brand with those same letters they are useless and certainly dont warrant the prices being asked for many of them

A lot of people don't even look at exacts and to say a domain with 6.6k exacts and rising at 12% is usually worth £4k is crazy, especially when it's not even a commercial phrase/area.

What he said ^

Exacts should be a very small part of a domain valuation. The most important thing when registering domains for resale is your own common sense. Common sense would tell me that deleteaccount.co.uk is not a good domain and doesn't have a great chance of selling for decent money so I'd move onto the next and not even bother checking the exacts.

Do it the other way around and mine GKT for high exact terms then seeing if the domain is available will land you with a load of crap domains that you can't sell!

Grant

+1

What people punch into search engines is completely different to what people use as domain names, especially as their core business domain name. It's not SEO/Keyword focused at all.

I'm not the most qualifed person on this forum to answer but this is a price I have in mind for one of my domains,

car-insurance.uk.com 550,000 local excacts = low £xx (not selling under development)

now this is a domain I sold recently,

[town]taxis.com 43 local excacts = sold for mid £xxx

I think it needs hard work. The big players on this forum who sell domains for a living MAKE sure they find the right people to talk to and market to, to get the best prices.

Find the right person for the right domain and excacts wont matter.

I'm just finding my feet after a many years now : ) theres still plenty to learn from all the pros on this forum.

Happy Learning (& selling!)

Agree with you Killaclown.
1 factor not mentioned yet is the price difference between .co.uk, .org.uk, .uk.com, .info etc, as a lot of people value these completely differently or even shun away from some altogether

Cheers for the input guys.

Time for me to post in the domain appraisals, with some fresh new knowledge.

Boxfish - I agree on the 6,600 statement, I explained wrongly.

When 60,000 Exact searchs include two word's, both in your domain name, and a trade marked word, then your domain name has the "best" match for the search query to the result in term's of just the domain name, then I consider these searchs the amount of traffic you could have "domain supremacy" over - I got this confused with exacts, trying to explain that exacts don't mean that much.

I do think a name with "domain supremacy" over 60k exact searchs would be worth £4k though - especially in a reasonably untapped market (.co.uk).

You've got more experience then me, so can I ask what your views are on this? (not the specific domain name ... I think that'd be hijacking too much... but domain "supremacy" compared to exacts, targeted visitors, etc, in general...?)

'i' Domain Exact Phrases

Hi. I have studied exact domain name phrases but recently purchased some high traffic volume phrases but with an 'i' in front as the originals were not available. Obviously I cannot list them on here but one was 'iMensFitness.com' to give an example. Can these domains work and have value? Any thoughts would be welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom