Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How .uk lauch affects popular .org.uk sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think there may be a few more domainer to domainer sales - domainlore might give a clue in the next week or so - but as for normal end users I can't see much change.

It would be great if all the energy and clever brains that went into fighting Nominet could now turn their attention to promoting secondary market before it is too late.

Stephen.

Good idea, if the majority of domainers on here all donated some money in to a central fund for marketing of .co.uk (and .uk) domains to the wider public, including press releases and showing the benefits of decent generic domain names and what they can do for businesses, i'm sure everyone would start to see some really good sales. I still think the majority of businesses do not understand the benefits of a decent domain name for their business/website, or are not willing to pay a high price for a good domain when they can register a longer more forgettable domain for a few pounds.

I was just wondering whether people thought .co.uk domain sales would increase now after the announcement. I was under the impression that the vast majority of end users knew nothing about the consultation, so .co.uk where unlikely to be effected. I do think however sales between domainers will now increase.

Takes a little time for the dust to settle.
What's been happening over the last year...
Sales have been declining and those that have been marketed, especially on this site have been panic strategies to offload liabilities instead of letting them drop as I believe some have done.
I see a degree of common sense coming to the market whereby people can identify quality easier than before the shakeout, and the registration of long tail keyword domains will evaporate.
Some domains which were not that attractive with a co.uk will look more so with a .uk and some already attractive domains will be even more attractive, stand up the person that owns more place names than anyone else ( must be rubbing their hands with glee ) good luck to them that's what business is about cycles and events that turn the tide of fortune.
Realistically now, the only way is up, because the last twelve months have been hard for sellers, but very good for buyers who braved the uncertainty.

Onwards and upwards.

...marketing of .co.uk (and .uk) domains to the wider public, including press releases and showing the benefits of decent generic domain names and what they can do for businesses....

....I still think the majority of businesses do not understand the benefits of a decent domain name for their business/website...

That's Nominet's job as far as I can see!

That's Nominet's job as far as I can see!

Why would Nominet care if you bought a generic domain from the secondary market or a brand new .co.uk reg? It's really up to domain traders to explain why people should by the generic domain as opposed to the dozens of other 'nearly as good' options that are still free to reg. £5 for a new reg versus £1000 from a domainer does take a bit of explaining to 99 per cent of the general population. In my opinion .uk domainers have not been good at selling the virtues of domains and can appear to be 'rip-off merchants' to the unitiated.

Stephen.

I was just wondering whether people thought .co.uk domain sales would increase now after the announcement. I was under the impression that the vast majority of end users knew nothing about the consultation, so .co.uk where unlikely to be effected. I do think however sales between domainers will now increase.

I think sales will pick up, since there's been quite significant coverage of .uk in the last 48 hours so the news must be reaching some "normal" folk as well as domain industry insiders.

As such, these regular end users don't need to particularly know/care HOW we got to where we are - but they may well be interested in WHERE we are i.e. the fact that they could within a few months be enjoying a .uk domain, but only if they secure the relevant .co.uk first.

There have been a lot more domain wanted ads on this site in the last few months, a lot are from new members;)
It's been a buyers market with the uncertainty that has existed and these people have been quietly going about their business, they won't want things to change.
Buy a prime name for xxx and sell with services for xxxxx, Bingo !

Not saying there is anything wrong with this method, it's business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom