Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

iPad apps and children

Discussion in 'General Board' started by retired_member36, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member36

retired_member36 Retired Member

As my two little youngsters are using iPads at school, I decided to get them one to use at home.

There was a few apps that I purchased for them that the school uses, and these were only a few quid. Allowed them to download other FREE apps to play on too. Password was set for any app download, so they couldn't do it willy nilly. (or so I thought)

Any ways I checked my bank today and it seemed I was a bit short!! Having looked further into it, the kids have had over 300 quid out of me on bloody apps. Looking at each individual statement, these are in app purchases, something I didn't know any thing about. These were big amounts too 34 quids here and there.

I looked further into the settings and it seems there is an option to turn this off, under the restrictions. Also if you put your password in to download an app (free or paid) it looks like the default setting is to keep the password session active for 15 mins. I've changed this to immediately now.

I've messages iTunes to see if there is any thing that I can do to claim some money bk will keep you posted.

2. binny

binny Active Member

I fear that despite adopting the moral low of allowing the placing in-app purchases in kids games they will take the moral high ground and say your purchases have to be honoured.

3. cvs United Kingdom

cvs Active Member

Watch out for Smurfs' Village as smurfberries will run up the bill very quickly!

I opened the kids itunes accounts using prepaid cards and have a stock ready to topup when their balance is running low.

4. retired_member36

I think they will too, but its worth a try. i honestly didnt know free apps allowed this kind of feature. Guess ive learned the hard way or should i say expensive way.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

My kids used to ask to use my iTunes account to be able to update their apps or get new free ones but I wasn't happy with this arrangement. I researched it and found out that you have to enter a credit card to have an iTunes account (which my kids are too young to have) but I found a way around this, enter any ole numbers and an address in accounts you set up for them to use for free apps, the card information is required but not validated.

Now my kids can do the free stuff with no danger of me getting billed or having to give them my passwords.

Admin

6. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

I don't believe my kids have managed to spend any money through my ipad, but they've come very close.

Thanks for the tips on the settings! Needless to say, I've changed them now.

7. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

8. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Indeed my little sister decided she would purchase the £50.00 package.

Apple was good and refunded the full amount.

9. retired_member36

Just got an email back from them

Not quite the full amount (I dont think this amount reflects a few app purchases, but mainly the in app purchases.) Cant grumble, especially as i wasnt expecting it.

10. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

Nice, I think you got a good outcome.

11. solaris

solaris Member

Nice result. Just curious, do they now disable what had been downloaded?

12. stevebrowne United Kingdom

stevebrowne Active Member

lucky you got this.

Now go into settings and either turn off in game purchasing or set the timeout to immediate! ( I think it's set to on with a 15 minute timeout by default)

13. retired_member36

Ive checked two apps that was purchased that ive been refunded for. These still work at the moment (Not sure if this will change in time)

Ive just recd an email (itunes invoice, for an in app purchase that was made on the 9th, so its some time behind.) Ive emailed the guy i was speaking to back to check this one out too as well as any others that are pending.

All security is on now, different passwords, immediate session expiry, turned off in app purchases and removed card.

These game companies must love kids cleaning their parents out lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.