Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is this laptop good value?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by kate-brownhill, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kate-brownhill United States

kate-brownhill Active Member

Hi All, we need to invest in a new laptop. Our current HP 15" laptop was great but starting to show its age. Specifically, the battery life is now down to barely 20 minutes which is obviously unacceptable when visiting clients. Also, a new battery for it costs around £150 so hardly worth it.

So, we are looking for new laptop. it has to be:

small and portable (Ultrabook preferably)
    well built
    fast, although not 'gaming' fast
    8 gb ram
    ssd if possible.

so baring the above in mind, I saw this laptop in the dell outlet site.

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/....aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=faff582c

Would you say this is good value? I used to work for a large company and we all had DELL hardware and the tech guys swore by it saying it was excellent quality for the price and I remember really liking my laptop so dell is not a problem for us.

Any alternatives out there?

2. dashu1 United Kingdom

dashu1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch another Dell if you paid me.

The last 2 (one of which was a VERY high spec and expensive model) have both got/had the same issues - they overheat BADLY due to the crap video chips and then die and present you with the blue screen of death.

3. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Try CCL Computers, great prices/service every time. I pick up as in my geo area, but you can mail order too. :)

4. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

I've had Dell laptops since my first laptop and never had any major issues and always been very pleased with them.

I custom made a Dell XPS to my spec for around £750 which is half price of the expensive Macs and has much better spec :)

Saying that if you use a basic/entry model spec all day for lots of tasks don't expect it to last long, if you use it a lot spend decent amount.

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I would say Dell Outlet is generally pretty good for value for money.

As far as reliability is concerned, I'd say Dell is better than many. Better than HP and Toshiba in my personal experience, but it can all depend on the model you buy and it's luck to a certain extent.

Rgds

6. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

Generally the top 3 are Sony, HP and DELL. Though ultimately comes down to costing and in many circumstances the way it looks plays a part. I personally would recommend a Sony or HP over a DELL laptop they are built better.
    Though saying that DELL warranty and customer service outweighs the others.
    So its swings and roundabouts. Many of my clients are purchasing tablets now and keeping their desktop for files and media. Al depends on your requirements.

CCL computers are good I also use saml and of course always look on eBay for ideas on pricing.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  7. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Your best bet may be to monitor the "Computers" section of HotUKDeals for a few days
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/computers/deals/hot

Usually, the really good deals (spec vs price) tend to go over "100 degrees" hot very quickly, and there are a lot of comments as well so you can see all sorts of feedback. Just be ready to pounce if a mega-deal shows up, because sometimes they only last for a few hours at most.

8. alex2013

alex2013 Member

The best way to find out the value of a laptop is to search online reviews, on different websites, published on different dates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.